• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is this ok? Ampeg 2x10 and Eminence Speaker Question

Agiknee

So I bought this cab to complete my at home/recording bass rig. This is my first bass rig, and as a guitar player I know amp:speaker rules are different to amp:driver's due to bass speakers tending to burn up due to lack of efficiency of frequencies.

The cab came with two Eminence Delta 10a drivers. From the looks of it, those are PA/Mid Bass speakers? They're rated at 350 watts a piece and it's running at 700 watt at 4ohm.

I plan on using a 50 watt baseman and a 100 watt ampeg v4; is this cab going to harm my amps because it's under powering the speakers?

Thanks and let me know!

elijah

You should have no problems using that combo.
The amp is designed for a 4ohm load and that's what you say the cab is rated at. The amp is rated at 50 watts and might put out twice that at full tilt. Either way the speakers should easily handle it if they are rated at 700watts.

If you like the tone for your application, then you should have no worries.

Multicellular

yep.

per their site "suitable for bass guitars, keyboards, club music systems, and stage monitors."

monitors and keys are full range speakers, so not perhaps optimized for bass guitar in particular, but if you're getting the sound you want, totally good to go.

Nice t-40 by the way!
!
!

Endr_rpm

A Note: No such thing as "under powering" per se. You CAN damage speakers by pushing an amp too far into square wave distortion, but you have plenty of speaker headroom (xmax/cone travel) with that set up that it shouldn't be an issue. You'll be surprised how much you can turn up those amps with a bass plugged in before the volume gets crazy. Its fun :)

Agiknee

yep.

per their site "suitable for bass guitars, keyboards, club music systems, and stage monitors."

monitors and keys are full range speakers, so not perhaps optimized for bass guitar in particular, but if you're getting the sound you want, totally good to go.

Nice t-40 by the way!
!
!
Thanks guys !

My bass player said I might eventually need to install a crossover. What does that mean?

Multicellular

Thanks guys !

My bass player said I might eventually need to install a crossover. What does that mean?
A crossover splits the signal into different frequency bands - usually bass from mids and/or highs. Sometimes they are set, sometimes have a knob.

Often used if you have speakers and a horn.

Do you have a horn in addition to the 2 10s?

Agiknee

A crossover splits the signal into different frequency bands - usually bass from mids and/or highs. Sometimes they are set, sometimes have a knob.

Often used if you have speakers and a horn.

Do you have a horn in addition to the 2 10s?
no horn. the amp is "vented" it has a hole for air to escape by the left speaker under the grill cloth. Maybe there was a horn once there?

Multicellular

I don't know why you'd have a crossover with only 2 10s. In my 20 years of playing basses, I've never heard of a cabinet with a crossover that didn't either have a horn or different sized speakers.

But perhaps he or someone else knows something I don't.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
no, you don't want any crossovers here. that should be a great little practice/recording setup just like it is.

+1 to "underpowering" being utter myth; my two bass cabs are being totally underpowered right now as they sit in the back of my truck ;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom