Is this possible??? (strat content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auffredou, Feb 14, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

So Ive had my eye on an 89 american standard strat, candy apple red with maple board. I went in to play it against every strat I could find. I can get this one for around 600, but would be willing to spend slightly over 1000 for something I really want, Id just have to wait a few more months. Ive been playing every strat I can get my hands on lately.

So anyway, I matched this baby up against an SRV strat, 08 American strat, used 1998 American strat, 57 Reissue (which to its credit had some intonation issues), and an EJ strat (believe it or not, my least favorite of the bunch.)

NOW- while this guitar did not necessarily PLAY the easiest, I kid you not when I say it sounded BETTER than every other strat I put it up against. I was in disbelief. They had decent deals on all kinds of used strats, and at $999 I wanted that 57 reissue so bad, Ive been dreaming about that guitar for years. I literally sat in a back room for hours today, and this 89 strat one every head to head competition I had.

2. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Yes each guitar is different no matter what they cost.

I once went into a Guitar shop looking for another Telecaster and someone left a Strat hooked up to the amp I wanted to try. Unplugged it, tried the amp with different Tele's, nothing jump out as a must have.

For some reason I played that Strat and it was like the sound I was looking forever for! I already had 4 Strat's and this one was 3 tone/maple just like one I had at home already.

I put it on layaway and the within a week I brought all my other strats to compare it to. Hands down it was the clearest and most musical so I had to get it and now its my main Strat.

I believe it all has to do with the luck of the draw with the guitars wood body and not what the price tag says how good the guitar is.

3. auffredou

auffredou Member

playability aside, which Ill obviously have to judge for myself, which one do you think is the best deal?

57 Reissue- $999
    62 Reissue- $1099
    SRV strat- $1099
    American Deluxe- $899
    98 Am Standard- $649
    89 Am Standard- $640

4. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I dont know. I always go with VIBE! I also love used gear if is a player.

If the Deluxe has the S-1 switching and the SCN pickups make sure it's the sound your looking for. They are very versatile but the one I had (sold it) sounded like everything but a Strat.

5. auffredou

auffredou Member

thats exactly what I hear that Im afraid of with the deluxe. This one had custom shop texas something or other pickups in it, and i didnt see any switches (is there a physical switch?)

6. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

The Deluxe S-1 volume knob has a push button in the middle of it, pretty neat really. Switches between series and parallel wiring. 10 different tones, for me all unuseable.

"Texas Specials" same as SRV strat. Had some in a tone dead guitar once. I need to try them again.

7. auffredou

auffredou Member

is it a noticeable button, or do you just push the volume knob down? because if its an actual button, this one didnt have it. what would that make this? and would it be more "classic strat" than the one with switching and scn (is that what they are) pickups?

8. auffredou

auffredou Member

nevermind, just saw pics of the button, this one definitely didnt have it. what could it be then? it said it was an american deluxe, and it was black with a gold pickguard.

9. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

No its not really a noticable button, It looks like a regular plastic volume knob but the flat part pushes inside the knob a little and stays down until you hit it again and it pops back up.

The Factory Deluxe S-1 and SCN pickup covers have a little SCN emblem on them, also hard to see if your not looking for it.

If the guitar has the CS Texas Specials, chances are it doesn't have the S-1. But who knows? And yes the specials have more classic sound compared to the SCN pickups.

10. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I had the same experience w/ a MIJ cheaper Sqiuer. It hands down sounded better than any Strat in the store. And this guita had poly finish. Go figure!

11. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

This is a no brainer...buy the one that sounds best that also happens to be the cheapest. No S1 on an '89 Am Std, they are a much more recent thing, past few years. That is relatively early for post CBS Fender and candy red is a cool color.

12. Strat God

Strat God Member

I've owned over 30 strats and one of the very best was a MIJ surf green 62 reissue -I paid $300 for it. It was unbelievable.

If I knew where it was right now and could buy it back I'd gladly pay a grand for it.:jo

Don't let money - or where it was made affect your decision. Believe your ears and trust your own judgement.

13. Custom50

Custom50 Member

just listen with your ears, not your wallet. If the cheapest one sounds best to you, then it is the best. Don't spend more because you feel like you have to.

14. auffredou

auffredou Member

thanks for all the advice guys.