Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jezzzz2003, Jul 23, 2006.

1. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I recently heard someone mention that solid state electronics will eventually reach a height where we can actually emulate an all tube amp.
    Knowing a little about how tubes actually work I naturally have my doubts and personally have a hard time dealing with such allogations.
    It cant be true.. can it?

2. gulliver

gulliver Member

IMHO the best tone can be had by a combination of the above, mostly through SS pedals with tube amps. When people talk about SS becoming as good as tubes, they're usually talking about digital technology (modeling, as they say). Personally, I'm happy with tubes and don't care if modeling can one day equal them. I would like to see digital technology go beyond tubes. Maybe not a tone for everyone, but I would like to see some really explosive digital effects offer tones we've not yet experienced. Of course, it would take a hit album using it to get the word out ... kind of like the early VH stuff and how it had a huge influence on the guitar tones of the '80s.

3. Kezend

Kezend Member

didnt trent reznor conquer the digital distortion tone?? hehe.

4. Curt

Curt Member

In my opinion, as an electronics engineer, YES, if will happen. And soon.

There will always be some, (and you'll hear from them on this thread), that will never accept them or will never believe that SS and or digital will get there. Those will be the ones who continue to pay $3K for an amp.
    That's ok, it took a long time for some to acccept the fact that the earth was round. :)

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Guitar Rig is supposed to be just that software, with emulation of all sorts of gear (about everything you can imagine from amps, rack gear, pedals, speakers, etc...)... Google that, looks *impre$$ive*, not really for me though for personal and financial reasons. Would be fun as hell to mess around in, though, I bet. There is a full fledged foot controller as well.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Guitar Rig is a cool recording/jamming tool and it does sound great...for a modeller, but put it up against the real thing and the difference will be obvious.

Of course, SS doesn't necessarily mean digital or digital modelling.

My main problem with modelling and SS amps in general, for me, is not that they don't sound good, it's that they don't sound good all over the neck.
    Usually I can get a happening sound in the mid register but it doesn't carry over like a tube amp does.
    There seems to be a subtle, frequency dependent compression in tube amps that fattens up the high notes in a way that SS amps don't, especially with clean to low gain tones.

I don't know what the causes this in tube amps, the output transformer maybe?

7. livedead13

livedead13 Member

Guitar Rig is indeed IMPRESSIVE! to my ears, it blows any line 6 modeling stuff out of the water. i have used it with a Behringer midi foot controller with great results. there are a ton of very useable presets, and emulates just about any guitar effect you can think of very effectively.

8. gulliver

gulliver Member

I agree with Curt, but the questions of "if" and "how" become blurred. I think the manufactures will take perfectly good technology and blow it on Guitar Center junkie products that miss the mark ... at least in the short term.

9. Curt

Curt Member

The original question had nothing to do with modeling amplifers. It was about a non tube amplifer emulating (to equal) the sound of *a* tube amp.

10. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

11. Curt

Curt Member

Anytime.

12. Curt

Curt Member

(sigh)

The original post mentioned nothing about modelers. It mentioned a solid state amplifier emulating (to equal) *A* tube amp.

13. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

It's easy to make predictions like that. I certainly haven't experienced any incremental improvements in modelling that would suggest that anyone's within striking distance of such a goal.

I certainly wouldn't rule out a real breakthrough, but I have my own reasons for why I don't believe that's likely to happen:

http://psg.com/~dlamkins/Articles/digital-amp-future.php?cat=musings

14. Curt

Curt Member

(sigh)

The original post mentioned NOTHING about modeling.

15. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Interesting article,
    Just as I was thinking.
    There are too many factors involved in the tube amp circuit too accurately nail.

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Okay:

Modelling amps are NOT solid state. SS generally involves analog circuitry, while modelling amps (like the Line 6 Vetta) are nothing more than a computer.

There are some brilliant computer engineers who believe that computers will one day be able to fool humans into thinking they're not computers, but lucid beings. Whether they're completely off the mark or not, convincingly simulating tube circuitry is child's play comparatively :moon

17. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Check out Pritchard Amps, they are at the forefront of solid state technology without resorting to digital modeling.

TheGrooveking

18. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Sorry. However, my comments still apply. If you don't have a SS designer who understands vacuum tubes at a deep level, it's going to be difficult to accurately emulate the tube circuits.

19. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Also, there's Blue Tone Amps in Britain.

20. Curt

Curt Member

An electronics engineer (like myself) does not develope a guitar amplifer by emulating tube amp circuits. His job is to make a non-tube amp that sounds like a damn good guitar amplifier.