Is this really the “final word” on the Tele vs the Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sludgefeast_84, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Benjoman

Benjoman Member

Por que no los dos? I will always have both! I'm a Fender guy so actually same goes for Jazzmasters, Jaguars and Mustangs. It's really up to you, kinda like asking what's your favourite colour? :p

2. clone17

clone17 Member

Hardtail Strat is the way to go....:)

Algebraist likes this.
  3. DRS

DRS Member

The author hits the volume control and middle pick-up when playing. Maybe play a strat more?
    Author doesn't like the fact the trem springs colour the sound. Doesn't mention what a trem is even used for.

4. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

Yes it is the final word. The problem is that the world is full of people that think they need to get the last word in. 99.99999999999997% of those people are wrong.

5. natebernstein

natebernstein Member

Two words: Nashville Tele

6. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

thread should have ended after @Tootone
    There's no answer, just opinions.
    I prefer to use both, just not at the same time, I kept dinging the finishes.

7. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I was a Strat only player for twenty years, then I bought my 1st US Telecaster with a maple neck and ash body.

I did not play it much at first but gradually, implemented it into my rotation, playing with the band.

The other two guitarists usually play Gibson humbucker guitars and I found that the Tele was a good contrast and very articulate in different frequencies and stood out for rythem and leads.

It also is better at cleans, almost acoustic and handles high gain well.

I find that I am playing the Tele more than my other guitars for these reasons.

YMMV

Route67 likes this.
  8. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

Wait, what?

I don't know what Kombucha is.
    Invisibility is the better superpower.
    I prefer Teles when I try them out.

Does that mean I'm a Strat person????

BTW: I sound equally crap on either guitar. A good guitar player will sound good on either, as well.

9. runningman

runningman Member

roasted swamp ash body with quartersawn roasted maple neck.

I'll add that on balance, if I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose the Tele, particularly when compared to a traditional SSS strat.

There is something truly magical about the Tele bridge pickup, both on its own and in conjunction with the neck p'up.

And I've found that in the role of 'rhythm' guitar, Tele is pretty much unbeatable in the sonic space it occupies and the way it seems to fit into a mix.

jpervin likes this.
  10. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I prefer the Tele as well but its gonna come down to each player and what they like. I like the low end and fullness of the bridge pickup position more.

11. Musicroom

Musicroom Member

Which one is better? I'll get back to you.

12. thecornman

thecornman Member

Never bothered listening to the opinion, because the only one that counts is my own! All I use are Strat's and Tele's and I like them both. If I had to pick just one though it would be a Strat. For me it is the best guitar design out there.

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

If only we wouldn't be blind while invisible...:(

Angstwulf likes this.
  14. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

If that's the case, then opt for a Strat next. It will be the most different from the Les Paul.

15. Madison

Madison Member

I have both but do tele 95% of the time. From an early age I loved the look, even though kind of odd. After 40 years of playing them I've recently been using the middle position more than bridge or neck. Probably has something to do with my increasing tinnitus.

16. Johnny_guitar

Johnny_guitar Member

IF you Uber to gigs, that's the only solution, unless you want your guitar going in the trunk.

17. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

They are both great guitars. I started on a Tele, but I rarely own one. The Strat feels like an old pair of slippers to me, I always have at least one Fender and several super strat variants in the stable.

18. Musicroom

Musicroom Member

Yes! Love those teles.

I have to add my number 1 for years is a 73 thinline. The guitar all my others end up being tone measured against.

19. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

How can you have a "last word" on something that is wholly subjective? I mean, he says this:

"Not having tone control on the rear-alone setting makes the Strat unusable for a lot of players."

First, if a player finds a Strat "unusable," they need to work on their playing. That's just silly beyond words. Second, even if they do, that's them, not me, and certainly not others. Third, a lot of Strat players use it because of the neck and the in-between positions and rarely use the bridge anyway, so how can that be disqualifying?

It just seems like a dude giving his opinion and making a clickbait title to get people to read it for some reason.

20. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

I massively prefer Telecasters, but this is all just personal preference. It's like asking, what's your favorite color?

chillybilly and David Garner like this.