Is this right...or do I complain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rexfordbridge, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Rexfordbridge

Rexfordbridge Member

I just got my guitar back from the shop. I had them install 2 push/pull pots for the tone knobs. I want the ability to do some Jimmy Page like tones. So here's what's happening:

Switching to treble pickup works, switching to middle works, but when I switch to rhythm nothing happens. The push pull pots are working, but I don't think it's wired so the rhythm can be by itself. Is this normal or should the guitar go back?

This is the wiring diagram I included: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...h_2v_2t_3w_2pp

Should I have used this one? http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...h_2v_2t_3w_ssp

2. mahler

mahler Member

Sounds like they messed up

3. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

Hahaha hell yea I'd complain. Well maybe not complain but at least tell them to fix it...for free. If I sent my guit to the shop and all 3 positions worked and when I got it back I could only use two positions, I'd be pissed! I wouldn't be able to play my LP if it was like that, or wouldn't want to as much.

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

Did you not try it out at the shop before leaving with the guitar? Regardless, it's a simple error. Take it back and get it taken care of. No worries.

5. Rexfordbridge

Rexfordbridge Member

That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure before I complained.

6. Rexfordbridge

Rexfordbridge Member

I'm still a rookie when it comes to wiring, can someone please explain the difference between the two wiring diagrams?

7. newswede

newswede Member

Take it back with a diagram. The Seymour Duncan website has the JP wiring diagram you can print. No biggie.

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The fact that someone "works at" a music shop is not a qualification for performing interesting wiring mods. It is possible to get some great tones with the parts available today, but the companies that make the guitars rarely include these at the factory, and hot-rodding axes is passe now that everyone is shelling out for 10-tops or whatever.

Just patiently explain the problem to the tech, and be prepared to leave it with him a third time if it's still not right.

9. hammersig

hammersig Member

Just for clarification, are you trying to split coils, or do series parallel, and phase? Also is the neck pickup only not working when using the push pulls? If you are doing series wiring with the push pull, only one set of controls will work in this setting. putting the push pull back down should return it to normal operation. I'm not doubting your problem, just wanted to make you aware. If it isn't right, in deed print out the right diagram and take it back to the tech who did it.

10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Yeah...the question is this...you had 2 pots installed...what are their functions???

11. Bloodbath

Bloodbath Member

Don't COMPLAIN. Just take the guitar back with the wiring diagram and explain what you don't think is right or ask him to explain why it isn't working like you think it should. Work with him. Going back and complaining sets a negative tone right from the beginning. If your nice about it, they are more likely to work with you.