Is this sacrilege?

crazyneddie

I'm thinking about taking my 68 Super reverb and turning it into a head. I have two blown CTS Alnicos in the amp and I'm considering going to a head cab config. Maybe a big 2x12 cab? Not sure what to do about the 2 ohm impedance either.:dunno

dk123123dk

The impedance is going to be the issue.

If you do decide to go this route, just make sure to save the original parts in case you wanna change it back.

dk

Jaredz28

Same as dk, I would say just keep the original cabinet and parts to return it to orginal when you would like. You could always wire a a cabinet to 4 ohms and it wouldn't sound too terrible I wouldn't think. 8 ohms or 16 ohms might get a little flabby sounding. Just please don't butcher the cab if it's original.

crazyneddie

You know the more I think about it, it would probably be something I would regret later on. If I want to go that route I think I could find a bandmaster reverb head pretty cheap. Probably for not much more than I would pay for a nice head cab.

keithb7

WGS, order 2 qty 4 ohm speakers. Wire up for 2 ohms. Voila! They do 4 ohm special orders. I ordered one for a single 12" cab for my vintage Bandmaster.

DC Music

Don't do it, if you want a head & cab configuration buy a Bandmaster head & go with a 2x12 or 1x15 or whatever. The Super Reverb belongs as it is.

DC Music

You know the more I think about it, it would probably be something I would regret later on. If I want to go that route I think I could find a bandmaster reverb head pretty cheap. Probably for not much more than I would pay for a nice head cab.

You're talking sense here dude.

IM4Tone

Just do it nicely and with the utmost respect ;-)
:aok

btw: Weber also does 4Ohm and even 2 Ohm speakers (in case you want 4 x 12...)
The cost of the Weber Z-matcher is around the cost of one speaker and offers unlimited flexibility.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
Another yes vote. I have a great '69 Super that never gets used because of the weight and awkwardness of moving it. Last time I took it out at the Cocoa Beach Pier, my meathead singer rolled it down the plank walkway of the pier and shook some vintage tubes out of it to their demise. Hand truck is the only way to move these beasts.

I can't imagine a Super 6.

crazyneddie

Yeah it is heavy. I usually don't move it around just for that reason. I have a bassman RI that is much easier weight wise. But I would consider moving it a lot more if it was a head. Maybe even a very large oversize 1x12 cab would work.

Trending Topics