1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Is this safe?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by slhguitar, Sep 22, 2006.

1. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Is it okay to run a 50 watt amp through a 50 watt speaker, as long as I don't put the volume above half? I have a Mesa DR that I have only 2 power tubes in (inside pair), making it 50 watts. I have a fender HRDx with a 50 watt speaker. This is only a temporary bedroom setup. I simply dont want to crowd the room with my 4x12. Would this be okay?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Should be fine.

As always, all of my free advice comes with a money back guarantee:)

3. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

lol. Another quick question....do i need to pull one rectifier tube, and if so, does it matter which one?

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    You shouldn't have to pull a rectifier, but you can if you like. You'll get more sag with one recto. Wouldn't matter which one you pull.

5. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Thanks a lot for the help. I just spent the past hour playing. I love good tone!

6. conundrum

conundrum Member

Welllllllllll..... This is a tricky one. Dual Recs typically deliever full power when the master is around the halfway point, and the gain around halfway.

7. Junior

Guitar amps put out more than their rated output.

Everybody knows this.

Especially, speaker manufacturers.

Since you're aware, and worried, I think you're safe.

I'm more concerned about your hearing. You can replace a speaker.... ;)