• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is this setup going to cut it for recording?

Gaviao

Here is the gear that I have:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro w/ 2 inputs (About 4 years old, taken out of the box once)
DBX 760X Preamp (Haven't seen this one yet, getting it for free from a friend)
OLD Mac Mini that needs to be "cleaned out" - Here are the specs:
Year: 2006

Model: A1176
Processor: 1.66GHz Core Duo(T2300)
Max Memory: 2GB

I have mics and what not. I was also considering getting an external hard drive and possibly an SSD for the Mac mini... unless it wouldn't be worth it.

My goal is to record myself at home and have it sound decent.

Thoughts?

martinrawlins

Well the spec of the computer won't affect the sound. The mics will, but not only do you not list them, you disregard them! The interface and preamp I'm sure are perfectly fine... or are you just asking if the computer will be able to handle multitrack recording? I think it will.

Sendrith

martinrawlins has it right, and just about anything can handle 2 inputs.

What mics? This matters.

DBX preamp? I have no idea how it sounds, you may like the pre's in the M-Audio more.

Since you're on a Mac, do yourself a favour (imo) and get Logic Pro X. $199. Get an external hard drive if you're concerned about filling up your computer, I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

Gaviao

Well the spec of the computer won't affect the sound. The mics will, but not only do you not list them, you disregard them! The interface and preamp I'm sure are perfectly fine... or are you just asking if the computer will be able to handle multitrack recording? I think it will.
I have a Shure Beta 58, an MXL 992 Condensor with shockmount, and 2 MXL 993s (Stereo Pair) for mics.

Yeah my question was really more about the computer being able to handle it then anything else.

Endr_rpm

Don't plan on recording Dark Side of the Moon or anything, but for 4-8 track demos, the computer should be fine.

Experimentation will be key, but I'm thinking you're gonna want different mics for guitar amps. The Beta isn't really designed for it (too bright IMO) and the MXLs will overload at moderate volumes. Maybe score a used e609 or SM57 to start with, or if you are on a super low budget, GLS makes a nice 57 clone that I own and use, its a bit flatter than the real 57 (which I also own), no upper range peak.

Gaviao

Don't plan on recording Dark Side of the Moon or anything, but for 4-8 track demos, the computer should be fine.

Experimentation will be key, but I'm thinking you're gonna want different mics for guitar amps. The Beta isn't really designed for it (too bright IMO) and the MXLs will overload at moderate volumes. Maybe score a used e609 or SM57 to start with, or if you are on a super low budget, GLS makes a nice 57 clone that I own and use, its a bit flatter than the real 57 (which I also own), no upper range peak.
Now when you say 4 - 8 track demos do you mean 4 - 8 tracks at a time or total?

Hadn't thought about a guitar amp mic... I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

dporto

Short answer: Yes... Longer answer; as stated above you will be somewhat limited on a technical basis by your equipment. In turn that should actually force you to be more creative in your approach to achieve things that may not be so obvious on the surface. You will be limited to recording two discrete tracks or 1 stereo track at a time by your interface. This won't stop you from overdubbing to your hearts content! good luck

hubberjub

You'll be fine. I was using a crappy 2006 Dell with a Pentium 4 3.0 and 2gb up until last summer and having no problem cutting 10 tracks at a time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom