Is this tele a fake?

A long while back I got a guitar on accident, its an older MIM Telecaster. I sold it to a guy on craigslist for $200. He was saying he may be worried that its a fake, I told him if it was I would buy back the guitar. He has now a week or so later taken apart the guitar completely and is saying he has a hunch its fake and has found tiny things wrong with the body. He posted pictures of it over on TDPRI and 25 people said its the real deal and 7 said its fake. Or that the body is fake. So if you guys could give me your opinions I would greatly appreciate. Also, if it turns out that the body is fake, could you possibly tell me if it is of similar quality to a MIM body? Although MIM bodies are generally so cheap I dunno what could be worse. here are the pics. It looks like the body got repainted, too. Also, the decal is legit, nice and flush and everything. he says if anything he thinks the body is fake.

here is a link to the thread he posted on TDPRI

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/191165-my-new-fake-tele.html

thanks for your help

Evan

coldfingaz

The neck looks fine. I don't get all the extra holes in the neck cavity on the body. That's obviously been messed with. Those saddles & bridge look a little bit off to me, too. Pick guard is probably not original. The body is not real easy to determine. Looks OK to me, but I don't know how anyone could say for sure it's a fake based on these photos... fake in that it's not a genuine Fender, but could be a Warmoth or something else? Even if that's the case, it might not be a bad thing.

gkoelling

real

Also...what the heck does he want for $200.00??????????????? Sheesh!!

Last edited:

chucke99

A MIM neck is going to part out at abouty $200 anyway. Tell the guy to either quit whining or return the guitar. That body looks a lot older than the neck, too. It's got oxidization under the bridge, around the control cavity, etc. I'd bet it's at least 15 to 20 years old, given how the white color is also yellowing. For all you know, you have an old MIJ body with a Fender neck on it.

If you were near me I'd give you $200 for it right now. Sheesh.

K-Line

Vendor
Not a fake, that neck is a great neck. Early days that were rummored to send the US stuff down there for finishing. I had one from 91 and it was special for sure. The body looks legit for an early MIM tele. I would take it back and sell for more! The only thing that does not look right is the switch, pots. They look like a cheap import (non MIM) copy. Could be a parts guitar but probably a great one at that.

Thanks for the info guys, please keep it coming, I gave the guy a link to this thread and said if he still wants me to buy it back I would gladly jump all over that opportunity.

If I get it back, what do you think some fun mods to do to it would be? I remember when my brother and I were playing it when we got it out to sell we noted how the guitar sounded pretty amazing. If we didn't have two Danocaster T's that are outta this world we would probably play this thing a lot.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Let me know if you want to resell :) That neck looks pretty sweet by the shoulder area, kind of chunky. I believe some older MIM's had really nice necks like that; the body is hard to tell, but it looks fine to me.
Pots and caps definitely look cheezy, but those are easily upgradeable for not much cash.

coldfingaz

Modding a Tele is a world full of possibilities. If your Danocasters are both 2 pup Teles, you might want to convert this into an Esquire (nudges the guy with 3 of 'em). Tons of options with electronics in a variety of price ranges. But, if you're not going to play it because of your Danocasters, I'd part it out, sell off the neck for $200 & the rest is gravy.

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
A MIM neck is going to part out at abouty $200 anyway. Tell the guy to either quit whining or return the guitar. That body looks a lot older than the neck, too. It's got oxidization under the bridge, around the control cavity, etc. I'd bet it's at least 15 to 20 years old, given how the white color is also yellowing. For all you know, you have an old MIJ body with a Fender neck on it.

^^This.

thesteve

I'd bet it's at least 15 to 20 years old, given how the white color is also yellowing. For all you know, you have an old MIJ body with a Fender neck on it.

The neck is a '91 MIM, so yeah...if it's all original, it's all about 18 years old.

Guys, I'm very intrigued to do an esquire. I know Big Mike has a really cool esquire w/ a don mare rich robinson or maybe 0038 (i think?) in the bridge. Otherwise we'll part it out or sell it complete and make sure to PM some of the guys in this thread for the first crack.

Evan

joeybsyc

Let me get this straight... the guy paid a measly 200 beans for this, proceeded to tear it completely apart, every last friggin screw, and now wants to put it back together and send it back as though you somehow ripped him off? I know what I'd tell him.

Last edited:

chucke99

Oh, and if the guy you sold it to is reading this thread: It's a horrible, fake guitar, not worth anything close to what you paid for it. Sell it back to the original owner, take your $200 and consider yourself lucky to have dodged this bullet.

:rockin

well after i told him about this thread he of course ended up keeping the guitar. AH! I have the perfect esquire pickup and was started to get excited about having a top-loader esquire! darn!

i really appreciate my TGP brothers for their wisdom

Hahahaha! Thanks for trying to help, Chuck!

Evan

Oh, and if the guy you sold it to is reading this thread: It's a horrible, fake guitar, not worth anything close to what you paid for it. Sell it back to the original owner, take your $200 and consider yourself lucky to have dodged this bullet.

:rockin

The neck was pretty thick. The body had some pretty legitimate damage to it and we got it for free a while back and didn't really do our due diligence, obviously. Its a lesson learned for us.... DANG! Hopefully its a blessing to the guy who purchased the guitar.

Trending Topics