Is This The Best Mexican Strat Ever ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by toneninja, Oct 18, 2017.

1. toneninja

toneninja Member

ive recently stumbled over this:

It has the American 65 pickups though, but seems to sound very good
    Do you think it may be the best Mexican strat ever , and if not,
    Which is the best Mexican strat series to date, in your opinion ?

Fred132 and rich815 like this.
  2. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

Not to me, the reverse headstock just doesn't look correct on a Strat unless it's a real lefty.

I have the most comfortable playing MIM Strat (2012 with maple backed rosewood board) but never liked the pickups so I went Suhr Thornbucker Plus / Suhr V60LP single coils in the my HSS.

Now it's the best MIM Strat.

3. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

I personally feel the Jimmy Vaughan Strat is the best Mexican Strat ever.

4. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I really like the '70s reissues.
    I have a few real '70s strats, and although the neck shape isn't accurate, the quality is excellent.

Madguitrst, c_mac, stephax and 2 others like this.
  5. oldguy101

oldguy101 Supporting Member

Classic Player 50's Strat gets my vote for the best MIM Strat.

ecm1117, KennyJoe, Bluesidae and 12 others like this.
  6. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Classic Player 60 is tough to beat within the MIM strats.

johnh, spaolino1590, RoTel and 2 others like this.
  7. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I like the Classic Player 60's Strat. I like it better than most of the American Fenders too.

8. p.mo

p.mo Supporting Member

Gotta agree with this. That was the only MIM strat that I've ever had to think long and hard about moving. Moved it for a Highway One, but truth be told, the Jimmy V. was a better guitar in stock form.

9. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I like the Fender Classic Player 50's Stratocaster Custom Shop Designed. Whew what a mouthful. Fender hast to find a better name convention. Great guitar with a 2 point trem, vintage steel saddles, 57/62 pickups. I bought mine as soon as it was announced. GC would not come down in price at all. As I'm haggling with the manager some guy tried to walk away with it and buy it. Manager took care of him.

jblake and Gurn like this.
  10. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Others have said it, but the Classic Players series--both the Strats AND the Teles--are consistently the most playable, great-sounding MIM Fenders I've laid hands on.

(If we were only talking Teles, I'd also lump in the Baja Telecaster, but I digress ...)

paulitk likes this.
  11. dazco

dazco Member

Me too. I've had mine since about when they debuted in the late 90s. Rosewood neck vintage style strats IMO sound the best and this one had taken on everything i have owned since and remained king. It's so rich and stratty it's sick, tho like all fenders i do pickup and possibly trem or block upgrades. As for that hendrix model in the video....i recently bought a squier CV 50's and upgraded it with a quality steel block trem and tex mex pups and it will hang with that hendrix strat w/o braking a sweat. If the design is good for tone and you upgrade when needed with the right ingredients, nearly anything can be awesome. Theres no magic here. It's design and the right ingredients and thats all it takes for total awesomeness as long as you don't get unlucky with wood, and today that's become much less common. It's easy to get exceptional tone today on the cheap. My upgraded CV is hard to put down, tone for days and plays itself. If I bought a AVRI and it played and sounded like this i'd consider that normal. But it's all about upgrading today because it's the hardware and pickups that fender uses to keep the low end stuff from matching thier higher end stuff. Lucking it's cheap to upgrade unless u cant do it yourself and your tech is expensive.

12. jblake

jblake Member

Ditto. I have two (2008/2014) in sunburst and they are my #1 and #2. I like my American Standard and Classic 50's almost as much, but the smoothness of the two point trem sets the CP50's apart.

Both of mine have been upgraded with low friction pots. #1 has a Callaham steel block, but I didn't find that it made enough of a difference to get one for #2.

I have wanted a black one for years, but they seem hard to come by and from what I can tell, were only available in black in the UK.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That'd be a Vintage Players strat from early 00s. Only made for a couple years.., had all great features, Gotoh staggered tuners, CS pickups, US vintage six screw trem, 9.5" radius, med-jumbo frets, heel adjust, no f'ugly black plug at the headstock, tinted neck finish, vintage colors... was by far the best. Only way you'd know it was MIM was the tiny sticker on back of the headstock, if it even had that. can't remember.

I had one like this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Madguitrst and jordans0nly like this.
  14. monty

monty Member

For a more modern vibe, the CP60 cant be beat. For a vintage vibe, the RW 60 kicks butt. I have both and they ended my Strat shopping.

15. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Love the Robert Cray model MIM

zzzezums, JGD5150 and evanjackson like this.
  16. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Heard so much good stuff about the CP 60s. Great pups, hardware etc.

I got a guy offering me his '06 classic player for my SG special. I'm so conflicted, I love my SG.... but the blue CP with rosewood fret board is damn sexy.

17. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

my 50's RW Strat is one of the best Strats I've ever played.

Release likes this.
  18. rich815

rich815 Silver Supporting Member

Sounds fanstastic.

19. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Another vote for the Classic Player 50s. Killer guitar, great feature set, and really nice quality. I've modified a few things on mine, but purely out of preference. It was very impressive even when it was bone stock.

HeyMrTeleMan likes this.
  20. ArchDukeOfTops

ArchDukeOfTops Member

Deluxe Powerhouse Strat is a great MIM too.

jordans0nly likes this.