Is this the worst year ever for rock star deaths?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DreamTheaterRules, Apr 22, 2016.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

If it's not, it sure feels like it. :( I know it's early in this year and this carries into last year, but the last 12 months or so seem to have been particularly brutal. I realize we're getting older so the chances of losing our favorite rock starts from the 60s, 70s, 80s etc. is getting higher as we all get older. But this last year has been awful! Seems like every few weeks we lose another star.

vinceh likes this.
  2. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

Two big factors are the age that the classic rock stars are at now (many in their 70's) and the social media reaction to celebrity deaths. In the next 1-10 years, we are gonna lose some of the biggest stars of all time, and I am sure people will be saying "is 201X the worst year ever for musician deaths?" every year for a while.

It also highlights how some deaths get totally overlooked- Lonnie Mack died yesterday and I saw one mention on Facebook, but Prince's death has everyone losing it.

Some deaths like Prince's are sudden and tragic, but when it is someone like Lemmy, my reaction is more "wow...that guy lived more in his life than 100 other people combined, cheers to that". Bowie treated his death as another work of art, and it didn't feel as "sad" to me as just generally emotional and powerful.

It is always sad when people I admire die, especially if too young, but their work lives on forever. I never knew Prince, Bowie, Lemmy, etc, but I can still listen to their music just like when they were alive. However, now when I do it holds the extra meaning of honoring their lives and continuing their legacies. I am not downplaying the sadness one should feel, just adding a different perspective.

Cruciform, ibis, Abram4235 and 6 others like this.
  3. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

4. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

5. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

I guess it depends on how big of a fan you were of the people who died. :dunno

6. Custom50

Custom50 Member

It's one of them.

Lemmy was the one who bummed me out the most. I was a colossal fan. I knew he wasn't healthy but sometimes you make your heroes superhuman in your mind.

hillie16 likes this.
  7. DreamTheaterRules

Not really, or not the intent of my post anyway. I'm not a big Prince fan at all. Nor Bowie. In fact, while I "like" them and admire them, I was never a big Eagles fan yet acknowledge them as one of the great bands ever.

Now, Chris Squire, that's hitting me in my core group of all time favs. Most others aren't, just noting that we're losing them a lot lately.

8. Sheherezadeh

Sheherezadeh Member

Yeah, and I suspect it's only going to get worse for the indefinite future as natural aging of the "golden era" stars starts surpassing the untimely, unexpected deaths. It's really been starting to snowball lately, which will give future deaths this year even more attention for awhile.

transmaniac and enharmonic like this.
  9. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

10. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

Every generation has their stars. In the past when high profile celebrity deaths were high probably didn't notice because they weren't on your radar. The information age has much to do with it.

slybird likes this.
  11. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

I think the fact that "celebrity" itself really got much bigger in the 60's and 70's... so we're at the point where we're simply bound to have a lot more of these, only because there is a larger pool out there. It's all a big numbers game.

12. DreamTheaterRules

respectfully disagree. I know the information age makes things immediate and then an overwhelming (and unwanted) VOLUME of information, but facts are facts, and whether I get 6 notices on my phone, 12 guitar sites I visit have notices, etc. that Prince died, or whether I read about it 3 days later in the newspaper in 1970, it's still just one event. And there seem to be a lot of them lately.

Waylander likes this.
  13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Well, this is tricky.

I'm thinking about when I had to go through some papers of an individual I knew who died of natural causes, and the guy never knew that Mel Torme had died (died right after Frank Sinatra, I think). This man was oblivious to the fact that Torme had even died and was writing these notes as though Mel was still alive. He just never got word, I guess.

That can't happen today. There was a time when someone like Lonnie Mack could die and people who were once his fans were just cut off from even knowing. Now, it is just next to impossible to not know when something happens to a musician you care about. We hear about their health problems, their cancer treatments, even the deaths of their family members and a lot of that we never used to know.

This is a little like when the tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it. I know musicians in New Orleans who died and I ended up handling the "Succession" to put their family in possession of the property they left and suddenly "Woah!!" you realize this guy used to play at Preservation Hall and all that. Everyone (even some of the family) forgot who this guy was --- this kind of thing never happens much anymore I think.

We're applying a magnifying glass to all of these things. Some of the members of the Neville family work at drug stores and drive trucks - in some ways, musicians are just ordinary people.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  14. scotth

scotth Member

1980 had: John Lennon
    John Bonham

2001 had: Joey Ramone
    George Harrison
    John Lee Hooker

abnerfm likes this.
  15. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

Most 'rock stars', the good ones anyway, are 60+, and many are in their 70's and 80's. Do the math.

16. Waylander

Waylander Member

Sad but true: this is just the beginning. There will be a lot more in the next years, due to there age.
    Soon there will be no more real heroes of rock. So let's praise them while they're still here.

abnerfm and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  17. 5992

5992 Member

To tell the truth, I was more bummed out when I had heard that Amber Rayne had died. She was only 31. She spent 1/3 of her life doing nasty things on camera and was about to retire. Sadly, she never will reap the efforts of her labors. Many people look down on her because she was just a pr0n star.

Prince on the other hand pretty much lived his life on his own terms and was highly creative and well-respected. He was also 57, which isn't that old (especially from where I'm sitting), but I would say he made the most of his time here. I can't help but think a quick death is best. Slowing dying in a painful manner is not really living.

18. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

As we all know in 1959 two of the biggest stars in rock and roll, Buddy Holly and Richie Valens, died the same day n a plane crash, along with another fairly big star the Big Bopper,

Not rock and roll, but also dying in 1959 were Billie Holliday, Lester Young, Eddie Jones aka Guitar Slim, and Blind Willie McTell.

19. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I was talking with my son about this last night. Prince and Bowie were two truly unique and huge artists. To lose them months apart is pretty remarkable (to me). Merle Haggard and Glenn Frey were also among the most successful artists of all-time. Plus Maurice White and Paul Kantner. And it's only April.

Damn.

Peace,

20. Boston617

Boston617 Member

For me personally? No.

2015 ended on a crap note with Lemmy passing, but I doubt anything will screw me up as much as losing Peter Steele & Ronnie James Dio within a few weeks of each other in 2010.