Is this true about Jazzmasters ? Craigslist

e???

Yea jazzmasters n jaguars are kinda hipsterish lately. But in the right hands, all that goes out the window and the guitar and the person playing it are cleared of any lame charges or name calling.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
Yes they are big with the hipster crowd but that is not there only people into them. His price is $50 more than the new price. Considering it's easy to get 20% off of new, his price is actually more like $200 more than you can get them for new.

StratoCraig

Ha, that looks exactly like the CP Jazzmaster I bought a couple of weeks ago new at GC for $799.

I think he's priced it a little high. Granted, mine came with a Fender padded gig bag rather than a nice HC, but still.

I suppose it's thanks to Sonic Youth and MBV, and maybe Costello and Verlaine (do today's hipsters even know who they are?), that offset Fenders are in with the hipster crowd. I just like the Jazzmaster because of how it sounds and plays.

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
:rotflmao

I jumped on the train recently and snagged a '62 AVRI. A lot of my favorite bands are using JM's currently but i realized it wasn't the right guitar for me. I definitely see how it suits some.

cutaway

both haha. Asheville's a cool town. I'll be there all summer.

Floyd is too, though. it was this sleepy mtn town, but, like Asheville, the hippies have discovered it and it's growing.

I have a 1976 Jazzmaster. I dig the bound neck, block inlays, large headstock, and big 1970s Fender headstock logo. Some of my tastes are definitely more hipster than, for example, blues rocker. But the only thing hipster about the way I look is my epic beard and my sometimes cool shoes. But like some hipsters I sometimes shop at the thrift store and listen to records.

mschafft

They can sound good in a unique way. They are huge pieces of furniture and are a nightmare to keep in tune with substantial tremolo action. The model was not selling so they became cheap. They ended up in the hands of skint teenagers, possibly also fed up with the ubiquitous strat, and the following generation of alt rockers brought them back in demand. Dinosaur Jr and Sonic Youth did most of the job there I guess.

Thedude99

They can sound good in a unique way. They are huge pieces of furniture and are a nightmare to keep in tune with substantial tremolo action. The model was not selling so they became cheap. They ended up in the hands of skint teenagers, possibly also fed up with the ubiquitous strat, and the following generation of alt rockers brought them back in demand. Dinosaur Jr and Sonic Youth did most of the job there I guess.
Not with a proper setup. Setup properly they stay in tune just fine with heavy trem use.

Lewguitar

I don't get the love for Jazzmasters and Jaguars. I owned both back in the 60's and when I was doing Lew's Guitars a nice 60's Jazzmaster came to me again in the 1990's and I just didn't connect with it.

Thought it sounded weak. Love Strats but the recent interest in Jazzmasters seems like just a fad to me.

Seems like it might be a decent guitar for playing with the Lawrence Welk Orchestra though.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
I think the "only hipsters play jazzmasters" narrative is outdated.
By a good 15 years. It belongs with the "aren't all Japanese guitars of poor quality" idea that pops up every week. I understand the association though.

Though, this is a board where people routinely use the term "rap music" so I'm not totally surprised.

They are their own thing. People immediately want to deride them for not being quite Stratty enough or Telecasterish, and that's missing the point.

Trending Topics