• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is this wiring assembly worth much?

NoahL

Pots turn nice, measure 478k (volume) and 428k. From 1976. I took it out of a partscaster Tele. I can't imagine it sounds better than new versions but what do I know? Cap reads a stout .052mF.

https://flic.kr/p/w1NZCt

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
meh; weird pots, more like you'd see in an amp (plastic shafts? that means metal knobs wouldn't be grounded).

the cap is big and cool-looking and all, i suppose some sucker tone enthusiast might pay a little money for a bumblebee that isn't a modern fake.

Ron Kirn

the cap is worth about 100.00 if you're into that sort of thing.. the plug is wrong, the one in the shot is a stereo plug, and you don't have any idea if the pots are any good.

Remember, electronic parts don't get better with age, they just get old...

ron kirn

NoahL

thanks, guys. The pot shafts themselves are solid, though not brass, with the top 3/8" notched straight down so the set screw has a flat surface to seat against. The tabs are just prongs, not the more modern eyelet type. The assembly worked fine before I yanked it out. But I can't see this having been an OEM setup that someone would buy complete, to round out some "collectible" 1976 Telecaster, right? Unless it was half of the guts for a 4-pot Custom, but I don't know what those were outfitted with. And the stereo jack, of course. I'd almost feel guilty selling the cap for $100! I asked the pickup guru at a U.S. guitar company once, and he said that even though he'd love it if distinct cap materials had distinct tones, he's never been able to hear it.

Trending Topics