Is today's Zendrive yesterday's OCD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sir Ricardo, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Sir Ricardo

Sir Ricardo Member

Hello!

I remember a few months ago, there was a mania regarding the OCD. Used ones for sold for $300 on ebay! But then everybody got them, and now mint ones are $125.

Now, due to "tone du jour" (Guitar Player's review, etc.), the Zendrive is the must-have pedal, it is back-ordered, and prices are through the roof.

How long will it take before it too becomes just another pedal?

Cheers -

Richard
    ========================

2. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

Supply and Demand bro... If it were plentiful, then the prices would be a lot lower. If you consider all the "expensive" pedals out there... it would be either the vintage (can't get them anymore) or limited production pedals that fetch high prices.

Plus we all know as gear junkies that every cat has their own cup of tea when it comes to tone. The zendrive, along with the CJOD, Klons, Landgraffs, etc... may not be for everybody. But when you find something that inspires you to play and sounds great, price isn't as important if you really want it.

Our whole society is based on this instant gratification syndrome too. Nobody wants to wait months to years for a pedal / amp / guitar, so a lot of people would happily pay hundreds if not thousands to get it right then. The ironic thing about it is, I know this... and most of us do as well, but we still do it ourselves.

Peace

3. rewog

rewog Member

I haven't heard a Zen yet, but I suspect that like the Eternity, it's popularity is based on the quality of the sounds it can produce and not Hype.
    That being the case, I doubt it will go out of fashion.

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

In my mind it already has been surpassed. By the...........Zen 2!

Bob

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

It will pass just like all the other pedal craze that happens here! That said I still own and use my OCD!

Someday I would like to try the Zendrive, I had one on order but canceled due to the long wait!

6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

the zendrive is the stuff. sold my OCD. it souded ratty compared to the zen, but i was after a smoother tone anyway....

7. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I'm on the wait list for a Zendrive. I've been told 6 weeks. I don't mind the wait. I think I get more enjoyment sometimes out of the anticipation of getting a thing than the thing itself. Slightly neurotic I know. If the wait was shorter I don't know if I would have ordered one....:)

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Thats the beauty of all these available pedals out these days there's something for everyone!

9. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

you aint kiddin J!

the OCD was cool, but the top end was raspy through my rig. the zen is cool cause sometimes i forget that its even on! thats when you know you got a good pedal!

10. seanc

seanc Member

i am actually ordering a mosferetu. i think its better.

however it is hard to get these great pedals in Perth let alone Australia.

11. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I ordered a Zendrive direct from Hermida Audio a few days ago. I don't mind the wait at all. I wouldn't pay over double for a pedal I'd never heard before that's for sure.

12. scottl

scottl Member

The Zen and the OCD are absolutely nothing alike. Different style pedal. Apples versus Oranges. I preferred the Zen to the OCD when I head to headed them at Tomo Fujitas house.

Scott

13. Sir Ricardo

Sir Ricardo Member

I can relate to that feeling!

When I found out that to get an Analogman Bi-Comp compressor, you had to get on a long waiting list..well...that "hard-to-get" factor (combined with the good reviews) really made me want to get one. I got on the list, and then 10 months later I got an email saying I could now place my order. At that point, the "scarcity" factor thus was eliminated, and I then had to face the prospect of paying $270 for a compressor pedal. I got cold feet, and never placed the order. I ended up getting a Barber Tone Press, which by the way is a great pedal.

I'm pretty sure that his waiting list is an artificial occurance...if he wanted to, he could boost production, by hiring someone etc. But the notoriety of having a wait-list for your product is pretty cool, so it's a good marketing device!

my 2 cents -

Richard
    =======================

14. AD

AD Supporting Member

Same here. setting the OCD drive at 4 was phenomenal but i found it buzzy with higher gain settings - I've got a few new amps so i'm going to give it a whirl again.

15. ahermida

ahermida Member

Sir Ricardo:

I don't know if the "artificial occurance" comment is related to me or to Analog Mike but I can tell you that my main interest is in creating something for the guitar player, not for the collector. I have some help from time to time but I've tried to get good help and believe me its hard to find. Someone that can do a good job and is trustworthy is not common these days...I bet Analog Mike agrees with me on this. The wait is because at this point I'm not willing to send the design overseas, I rather do them and make sure they are consistent in quality and tone, plus I enjoy the interaction with musicians. I also focus a lot on tone rather than the "bottom line" and I've been lucky to work out designs that are affordable. I hope this comes across.

Alf

16. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Hi Alf...

Someone mentioned in a post above that the wait for the Zendrive is 6 weeks. What's the current wait for a Zendrive2?

Thanks.

17. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

When considering the "longevity factor" between the OCD and the Zen, don't forget the fact that the "hype" surrounding the Zen is coming after the pedal has been out and road-tested for quite a while, wheras the OCD hype started before most people had even heard it.

I've tried my share of OD pedals, and the three I have on my board now that I feel are absolute keepers are the Timmy, the Hellbilly, and the Zendrive. All sound great seperately and stacked in various combinations.

A

18. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I'd be surprised, reading what Alf wrote above, and considering how this pedal is really coming on. I ordered in Sep and it took 11 weeks, but a hurricane did slow things down at Hermida Audio. Either way definitely worth the wait.

19. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks. I was waiting for someone to remember that.

There's always been a pre-release feeding frenzy for Fulltone product. Now that's marketing!

Look at how many suckers were stuck with Distortion Pros. My opinion, the OCD's not much better. People just aren't ready to admit it yet.

The ZD, on the other hand, has built it's steadily growing reputation at the grass roots level thru' little more than word of mouth advertising by players.

One phenomenon has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

20. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

Personally, I think the ZD will become a timeless classic, like the Arbiter fuzzface is for the Hendrix vibe. It's a simple as that! The ZD has a niche, as does every other pedal. The ZD might not be the pedal for everyone (i.e. death metal) but there is certainly testimony through users like Robben Ford, Santanna, Brad Paisley, Garth Webber, etc proving that this pedal can cover a huge area of tonal bliss and styles.

I have mentioned in an earlier post that some things can't be improved upon; they simply become THE benchmark. The ZD is just that.

Sure, Alf will produce further excellent designs, including the ZD 2. He is a top artist in his profession, so there will be other great designs, for sure. In the case of the ZD 2, I believe the sound won't be better than the original. It will just allow more personal customisation, available because you will be able to select a particualer tube to meet your own preference. I haven't heard the ZD 2 myself, but I am purely being specualtive.

Alf said it himself above. He has designed a pedal for guitarists, not for the collector, and therefore, he sole interest is to satisfy the demands of musicians. On the contray, if he chose the commercial gratification route, he would have released a pedal which was going to be a short lived wonder, because it was something "new" to try. Thankfully, this is not the case.

Carry on the great work Alf, and I thank you once again for the ZD. It has trully heightened my enjoyment of the guitar.:cool:

Cheers,

DD