Is too-low price on CL a sign of a "hot" item?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zeffbeff, Mar 23, 2015.

1. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

An ad on my city's craiglist had a 2014 American Stratocaster in Sienna (retails $1450) for only $600.

The pics were legit, quite obviously not a fake.

I was going to go check it out, but then I thought--- if something seems too good to be true, then it likely is too good to be true.

My gut tells me that there's something fishy here. What do you think? I'm thinking it's perhaps a stolen guitar.

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Well, it's not as low as you think. I see those for $850-$1k all the time. So it's a little low but not crazy.

As for a pic with the serial number, that will usually separate it out.

3. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Sometimes a deal is just a deal...a lot of reasons why it could be cheapish. Personally if something hasn't sold within a couple weeks I just take the loss and price it to sell.

I don't think too much about C-list items being stolen. Yes, I'm sure some are and that is terrible. But if something is a great deal, I'm not the internet morality judge and I won't pass on something like that.

4. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

That's true. Sadly, this week is crunch time at work and I can't get out til very late.

5. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I bought new for $850 to sell for $600 seems reasonable. Music turns out better on a stolen guitar according to the spiders from mars.

6. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

I typically list things low to sell quick and easy. Usually the first legit buyer grabs my gear. I'd rather move it quick than price high and have a bunch of idiots contact me.

As a buyer... I'd contact the seller stating the same. "I'm ready to buy... when can we meet"?

7. brandass

brandass Member

Maybe hot, maybe fake, maybe damaged. I've seen them go that low, but not such recent examples, and there's always been damage of some sort. Proceed with due caution.

8. 92lowrider

92lowrider Member

Deals are definitely out there.
    I've always done quite well but I'm always overly cautious.

9. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

Take a friend when you go look at it. By 'friend' I mean another person or a 9mm.

-I recently purchased a beat up 62 reissue strat from a guy that lived in a real shady part of Portland. I also do a fair amount of snooping by digging up personal info on a seller. This guy had almost NO info available online.

Kept my coat on if you get my meaning. I have a ton of friends in law enforcement and have heard plenty of stories of people getting robbed by showing up with cash ready to buy something.

My situation turned out fine; he was a college student that recently moved to PDX from Miami and needed cash but make no mistake I was not taking chances.

~JH

10. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I'd go have a look at it. I've bought a good deal of gear off of CL at bargain prices that either the seller inherited and wanted gone, needed cash fast or just didn't care enough to research it's value.

11. seratone

seratone Member

That price tag isn't necessarily an indication it's stolen. I'be bought and sold American Stratocasters for 600. Craigslist and Kijiji in my city (Toronto) have about 30 USA Strats posted at any given time, and they've been up for months.

The folks like me out there that buy and sell a large amount of guitars (for whatever reason - I won't go into that) know that in order for a guitar to 'Move' it has to be between 30% and 40% less than retail.

A couple of years ago I bought a J. Mascis MIJ Jazzmaster on Kijiji for $350 from a Douchebag in Montreal - THAT was stolen. Luckily I boasted my find on Offset Guitars and the original owner contacted me and I got it back to him.

12. monty

monty Member

^^
    Very cool of you.

13. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

The used market is depressed right now, and you have to price stuff really low to make a cash sale. I have stopped buying anything at an "average" price, and only buy at what I consider a bargain. I have bought a couple of AmDlx Strats for $800, which I consider the average used price. I would not pay that for one right now. And they go unsold right now for $800. So maybe your seller has decided that he must sell, and lowered his price to where it's attractive. Doesn't mean it's hot. Only that the seller needs cash more than he needs this guitar. Sounds like a good buy to me.