Is U2's "the Edge" any good?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ingvay, Apr 14, 2017.

1. burningyen

burningyen Member

No, the single-note echo part is relatively simple. It's the rhythm playing towards the end of the intro that I can't get right. Bear in mind, he's using the stubbly end of a blue Herdim pick, which really grabs the strings, making accurate strumming much, much harder. He must have forearms of steel.

2. sws1

sws1 Member

You have to get the pick angle right, and then the pick doesn't grab as much.
    As for the part it sounds like you are struggling with...
    Instead of picking these strings: E, B, G, G, G, B (over and over), switch to: E, G, B strings (over and over, at same speed)

3. burningyen

burningyen Member

No, I'm not having trouble with that part. It's when he starts strumming the 3 strings together that I struggle.

sws1 likes this.
  4. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

well according to someone on the web, the Edge:

i think he's doing ok, and is a good guitarist!

5. John Quinn

John Quinn Member

I'm not sure what your issue may be - but I didn't say what you are implying. The OP said that he could play Carlton's intro to Don't Take Me Alive quite well but seem to have trouble with
    The Edge's intro to Where The Streets Have No Name. Have you heard Don't Take Me Alive? If he can play that then Streets should be a cakewalk - and I was only inquiring whether it was
    the weird cadence on the echo that may be tripping him up.

6. KestnerGS

KestnerGS Supporting Member

He’s a legend, and innovator.

7. jog

jog Member

Yeah, he's good.

8. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

He is high fiber and full of nutrients.

9. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

He's using two delays on that. Maybe that's what is tripping you?

10. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Music is a strange thing.

I don't say this to brag, but I am a huge U2 fan and absorbed every riff and note the man ever played, live and studio.

My old cover band used to play With or Without You, Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, Streets, and Sunday Bloody Sunday (not in the same show usually).

My ex-girlfriend saw us play once and after a set she said, "my God, you ARE the Edge." I just had his stuff down, the tone, the delays times, the pick, etc.

But our other guitarist, who was a huge Dave Matthews fan, wasn't a great guitarist by any stretch but I always felt he played Dave Matthews songs better than me.

It was in his DNA I think, like U2, Van Halen, Def Leppard, and AC/DC were in mine.

I had to learn a Beatles song for our last band (99% originals) and it felt like homework and felt stiff to me even though I knew the notes. I think because I only wanted to do our own stuff, I rejected covers and fought them. And it sounded like it I assume, to the audience.

11. Brad2

Brad2 Member

Just curious, how did you play the intro of With or without you. I mean the notes that sustain so long at the start.

12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I used an ebow.

A-Bone and Brad2 like this.
  13. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I have to add for as much as I HATE cover bands, I loved playing that song live. Usually end of the night when winding down.

There is nothing like that intro, the chimey parts in the chorus, and I love the way he ends it.

He used to solo it out live, but I love the album where he just strums the chords.

A-Bone, johnsav, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  14. sws1

sws1 Member

Yep - Fun to play and it builds to such a great peak. Wish I didn't have to go back and forth with the Ebow, but I'm not willing to build an infinite guitar for one song.
    I actually built a gadget to allow me to quickly attach the ebow to the mic stand so it's always within reach.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  15. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

it takes some practice but I hold the ebow with my pinky and ring finger against my palm while I hold the pick with my thumb and pointer.

the mix on the clip was nice. Real clear guitar.

can you sing backup? That would really make it shine.

16. sws1

sws1 Member

That's the house mix from the board. I was singing backup, but he had me a bit too low. You can hear it, but it's too subtle. I told sound guy in advance I wanted bgvs to be low, but he went a bit too far. He got it right in future shows. (Have to dig out that recording.)

TheGuildedAge likes this.
  17. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

They have a couple hundred songs. The easiest might be All I Want Is You. Nail it and I'll give you my guitar shop.

sws1 likes this.
  18. sws1

sws1 Member

Including verse 3 and the outro