Is Valvetech Amps Still in Business?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sunil, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Tonemonster

Tonemonster Member

That's bad.

I love my hayseed. I've bought it last Friday.. It's an hayseed 15 with reverb I'll think one of the first, because the sn 421 is not so high.

I've tried to mail Rob because I want some infos about the 2011 mod. All email came back.

Can anyone help me please?

Schematic Infos? Wich parts?

I love this amp.. Especially with 2x10 Greenbacks in this Combo

Greetings from Germany

GaryMcT likes this.
  2. Tonemonster

Tonemonster Member

Anyone knows the answers?

3. Chris Sterr

Chris Sterr Member

I have a VAC 25 that I bought from Valvetech, or I guess Rob. It was his floor model that I saw for sale in 2013 on eBay and I’ve had it ever since. I was turned onto to Valvetech by a friend who worked at a high end music shop and was trying to get me to check out the 65 Amps that they were carrying. After reminding him that I was in no position to spend that kind of money on just a 15 watt head alone, he mentioned that I should look into this Valevetech amps guy. Awesome amps that are affordable for the common man who know and want a good amp. I’m thankful for finding it on eBay and even more thankful that it came directly from Rob. I use it at least 12 hours a week, five or take, week in and week out. Only a handful of maintanence including having Weber re-cone the Legacy Blue and a rectifier tube until just getting it totally retubed last week. Anyway, thanks for reading and thanks again to Rob-

GaryMcT likes this.
  4. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

I had a VAC25 years ago. Amazing amp, I really regret selling it.

5. Tonemonster

Tonemonster Member

It is really an amazing amp.

Did anyone know. For what is the trim poti inside the hayseed??

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  6. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I picked up a VAC25 recently and it is simply a monster... versatile and touch sensitive and just achingly toneful; this amp doesn't seem to have a bad sound in it, and there are a LOT of sounds in it... it's small and portable and a killer pedal platform, can be dialed in easily for single coils or humbuckers, the reverb is luscious, the Master Volume works beautifully... this is so much more than a Deluxe Reverb or Tweed reissue; it's an absolute killer club amp... I can't imagine letting it go; I don't think I could replace it for four times the price...

7. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I have a Valvetech VAC25 too... I ordered it from Rob in 2005, and had it upgraded once in 2009 with some of his tweaks. Its a great amp, and once you have your settings dialed in it is the perfect grab and go amp with the footswitch...

Unfortunately, it looks like Rob shut down his business... I found a note on his Facebook page that he shut down the business... He thanked all of his customers, but I guess recent years had not been so profitable...

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  8. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Anyone know what the cap value is for the most recent bandwidth mod for Hayseed 30?

jbow likes this.
  9. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

That's too bad, great amps and a really nice guy. I met him and played one at an amp show and told him I'd own one someday. Took years, but it happened.

10. jbow

jbow Member

Thanks Rob. I still have my VAC. It is an early one. I shipped it back for a tweak and the shipper dinged a corner. We talked and you sent me corner protectors. Now I’m m kicking myself because I never got around to getting the “F” mod. Oh well, it still sings and rocks.
    So... does anyone here know how to do that last mod? I think it equalized the level between channels... maybe more, it’s been a while.
    I’m so lazy... lol.
    Rob, I hope you’re well and find a good buyer for your design and stock!
    Julien

11. jbow

jbow Member

Does anyone know what the plate voltage should be on an original VAC, back when it was the only offering? IIRC, Rob lowered mine because if I really slammed it, wide open with buckers, the speaker would just cut out... no sound for a few seconds. However, once that was lowered it lost a little sparkle and sizzle. I want it back.
    Also, is raising the plate voltage just a matter of changing a resistor? I can do that but I’ve never been able to get a schematic. I know enough to follow a wiring diagram and build a 5f1 or 5e3 without hurting... Er killing myself.
    Any help?
    Thanks,
    J

12. Warmy

Warmy Member

Meh, sold my hayseed 30

Boomy low end, common complaint.

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Bummer to hear they went out of business. I've heard them in person a few times (never played) and always thought they sounded great. My friend @Heinz57Pep has one still and has maybe had a model or two?

14. GaryMcT

Apparently swapping the output transformer for something more accurate to an old ac30 or using caps to frequency limit does wonders.

15. Warmy

Warmy Member

I believe it.

For the price I paid brand new...should’ve been right upon delivery.

16. GaryMcT

I agree. Fortunately I got mine used so I can afford a capacitor or even a new output transformer.

17. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

If it's singing and rocking for you, you're good. I got most if not all of the mods (can't recall) and at one point they didn't do anything to improve the sound to my ears. In fact, the last one I wanted reversed but decided it wasn't worth dealing with shipping it back and forth again.

I think amp makers especially can get bogged down in doing mods for people and tinkering with their designs based on the suggestions and complaints of a few bedroom rock stars. Did that impact Rob's business? Who knows, but I love my VAC50 and will never sell it (not that its resale value would make it worth my while anyway). Also owned one of his first VAC22s that currently resides at a friend's place (I could probably call dibs if he ever decided to sell it).

jbow likes this.
  18. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

iirc, there was an adjustment pot on some of the early circuits. one of the 3 vac amps i owned had it. i don't remember the details exactly but i think Rob instructed me to turn the volumes all the way up, hit a chord and adjust the pot to where the output did not cut off.

19. jbow

jbow Member

Thanks for this. I’ll look!

20. jbow

jbow Member

BOSS Bass EQ pedal will fix that in any amp.