Is Victoria Regal/Regal II considered blackface?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by catherinef, Jun 22, 2008.

1. catherinef

catherinef Member

with the diffeent tube swapping, seems like it might be, but would love to hear from someone whose played/dealt with this amp.

thanks in advance!

2. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

it does have kind of a blackface vibe to it, but overall it's warmer than a blackface Fender. It's a very 'big' sounding amp, with nice reproduction of all frequencies. I was playing my Regal II today with my Nocaster and it is very clean and spanky at lower volumes. Even on the tele bridge pickup though, the highs are very manageable, no ice pick treble at all. Smoother is a word that comes to mind. Not a lot of headroom on it, and breaks up kind of like a tweed. I tried mine tonight with a 5Y3 recitifier and a single 6V6 tube, and playing with my SG it was fantastic--very nice breakup at very reasonable volume levels. Add the reverb and fantastic trem and you have an amp that in my opinion is truly world class if you're looking for a Fender-inspired sound.

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Though the 'verb and trem may seem to say "blackface," I definitely would characterize the Regal (II) as being in the tweed end of the pool. Tones are fat, rich, and the breakup is smooth.

- Thom

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

As others said, tweed.

It's bigger brother the Victorilux is the blackface Fender one. Two 6l6's.

5. deluxeman

deluxeman Member

The Regal is a Supro rip off, and sounds much bigger than an equal power Fender, the 15in speaker helps in this regard. i think the Regal I is a great sounding amp.

6. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

Anyone know how the overdriven sounds are from the Regal2?

7. Brien

Brien Member

While I love the Victoria line, I've never heard one that I thought sounded like a Blackface amp. I don't think they were ever intended to.

8. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Everything I have read indicates that the Regal was influenced by Valco amps.

Terry

10. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Actually, the Victorilux is the big brother of the Victoriette. Both of those amps are very similar and, according to the Victoria website "share the same basic circuit". Both amps also share aspects of Blackface and Class A British amps.

In addition, the Victorilux can also be configured with 4 EL84s, not just 2 6L6s.

Terry