Is your amp clipping? How many drives on your board?

TimH

Wondering...for those of you using an amp that's already clipping...how many drives do you use? I've got 4 gain pedals right now and I'm thinking it's two too many...

I have one overdrive and one fuzz played into a lightly overdriven amp.

8len8

Which ones?

Some of these with my HT-20, JCA50, or DSL40:

Timmy
MXR Custom Modified Badass
MXR Fullbore Metal (more for the EQ)
RC Booster

I haven't had much luck with an OCD. Too gritty sounding.

Onemileguy

I have my amp set to a pushed/crunch type of thing. With that said I also always have a EP booster always on, and my klone is practically always on. I will also stack 2 fuzzes into seperately, and or a BB pre or eternity in all of this. So if you're keeping count, that's 6 OD/fuzz circuits into a slightly distorted amp. My secret is all of them are housed in 3 dual pedals so it keeps the board quite small

guitarnut_1

it all depends what music you play. I play mainly Blues Jazz and some classic Rock. Clean tube fender amp and a single Tube Screamer.

FatsoForgotso

I'm all about two channel amps. I honestly think it just sounds better, I got tired of my fuzzes flubbing out. No OD pedals on my main board. Takes away from my reverbs and delays but when I am playing my loud clean amps or my "Marshall" rig, the BAT Witchburner is all I'll ever need. I've never gotten into using multiple dirt pedals but I've always chalked that up to my laziness and unoriginality. If I need less gain or some ****, I'll just use my vol/tone knobs.

TeamJA

Silver Supporting Member
Into a broken up Matchless I use a klone as a boost, Barber CDD for more gain and a Scarab Deluxe for fuzz.

jota

I've been using my DRRi pushed hard into overdrive and the KoT has been the only pedal I've used since.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Some pedals like clean amps (e.g. Earth Drive).

Some pedals like edge of breakup amps (e.g. most Bearfoot drives/fuzz).

Some pedals like edge+ amps (e.g. Rat/Expandora/Kilt/SD1/fuzz).

Some pedals are happy wherever (e.g. Klon, Tubescreamer, Bluesbreaker).

Pick well and be happy =).

ogguitar

I run my amp hot enough to clip, but then attenuate with an always-on compressor and add a little grit and warmth back in with my Timmy. There are other ways to do what I'm doing, but for me it's the best way to get the feel of playing my amp louder but at a lower volume. I also have 2 fuzzes, 2 other drives, and a clean boost on my board. One fuzz has a clean blend, so it's set for a clean lead + dirty rhythm sound.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
Right now I've got a Crunch Box and a Soul Food for drives plus a Mojo Hand Huck and a Basic Audio TriRam for fuzzes. They are feeding a cranked 2204

Mullenski

One drive and one boost into a two channel amp. Plus one guitar volume knob. More than enough for me to try to keep straight...!

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
I run whatever amp I'm using cleanish with a bit o hair. Any drives I use I have setup as different flavored boosts to kick the front end. They all have a different personality. The order depends on stackability...

gennation

Unity gain. Look that term up to understand how to control your input.

As far as output, send your output to a mixer and find out where your device's 0db input gives you 0db output.

I know anytime I switch things in and out my level is consistent. Even times a "venue's stage" makes my levels seem out of whack, I'll tell the sound guy during sound check..."I got this...I got this...etc..." I'll run through the gamut and he'll tell me the levels are solid.

Also, once you go through the process of leveling, mark everything...and live by it. It's a hassle getting there but if you can put in the same spot everytime, you're golden.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom