Is your best guitar your favorite?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
You got the shiny expensive one that everybody knows is a classic tone monster and you just had to have it...and then you find old reliable fits you and your music better...hmmm... but the new one does so many things well...but you don't actually DO those things.:omg

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Yes. I have one guitar that's worth about all the rest combined, and it's my favorite. But it was also handmade to my specs.

Tele belly

Silver Supporting Member
I've had several favorite electrics. Acousticly , I've had only one. I've had upper end Gibsons , j45 sj200, I always went back to a late 80s aria pro ii. Not that the aria is superior in sound, but it had been with me through a lot of ups and downs, it's beat up from use, a natural relic of campfires, bar rooms, drunken songwriting..ect. The sj, I was afraid I'd scratch it, the j45, I just couldn't bond to it. I know I'm blabbing but some guitars seem an extension of what you represent, some don't. Now if I could learn to do the same with my electrics, I'd be better off. Just one and done... Spend more time shopping and drooling than I do playing lately . Sad, but true

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I guess it comes down to knowing your own needs and being able to identify the qualities in an instrument that meet them.
Even picking what you think is the best match can prove to be an error.

67mike

YUP: Custom Shop Peavey HP Special....my vintage Fender and Gibson's cannot touch it.

My guitars are like my kids. Some cost more, and some cause me trouble from time to time. But I love them all, and don't have favorites. I probably appreciate my more expensive guitars more, but I also have some medium priced guitars that I love to play. I could never be happy with one guitar, given all the styles of music I play, and the different ways I like to express myself as a musician. I really love my R8LP. But there are sometimes when I just want to play my SG Standard. And when I'm playing that SG, I am having a ball doing it. Do I consider the SG to be less of a guitar than my R8, simply because it costs less? Absolutely not. There are things I can play on that SG, which just wouldn't sound as "right" to me with the R8. I think my favorite guitar is always the one I'm holding whenever I'm playing well.

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
Nope. My best guitar is my Elliott Tonemaster; my favorite guitar is the '63 Jazzmaster that my mom gave me one Christmas.

Tim Plains

Nope. My favorite, for whatever reason, is a 2008 R8. I have many better guitars but I keep going back to that R8. Love it.

dingdongditch

My 1999 Tele-Sonic is the overall favorite, my best, not too sure.
Next is my 2003 8502 Telecaster, kick ass guitar.
Last but not least is my 2008 Standard Strat.
The '08s are truly great guitars.

tastylicks

Yes, duh. My best guitar is my best guitar because it's my favorite. Maybe by "best" you meant to use a more descriptive adjective like "most expensive". A common mistake on this forum. Using the word "best", that is.

loveme1965

Three chords, no waiting!
Silver Supporting Member
My "best" guitar - a '93 335 - is the best sounding and most expensive. My most-played (maybe that means it's my favorite) is a Mexican Strat with Tex-Mex pickups that I picked up for $230 last year. Partly I'm afraid of dinging the 335. Partly the Strat is feather-light and purple and chicks dig it. Whattya gonna do?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Best here was meant to mean the one with the good wood, the upscale hardware, the fine finish, the great rep as a player and tone machine that would be recognized as and IS a fine guitar maybe even custom built to your specs...but somehow it's not the right guitar for you after all. Kind of a weird realization that the old xxxx still works better.

Trending Topics