• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Is your guitar a noble musical instrument, or just a tool?

p6x

I was always careful about just everything I owned, even if I did not.

And of course, my guitars have always been very precious to me. No matter if expensive or not, I treat them with equal care.
I never leave them laying around, they are in from their cases or gig bags, played, and returned into them. No way I let them laying about, to be just knocked down inadvertently.

It is just out of respect and worshiping the enchantment they produce when played.

I detail them so they always look best. No greasy finger prints, no ding, immaculate like the day they came out of the factory.

I can't describe what I felt when looking at Pete's destruction craft. Like someone desecrating his own creativity.

Anyway, I maybe obsessive compulsive about my guitars, and I was wondering if you guys were just considering your stringed instruments as mere tools, or noble companions?

Look at those using Stradivarius Violins... why should we treat our guitars differently?

Well Done

For me it is both. It is a tool yes but a tool which is used to express yourself with and therefore it also becomes an extension of you.

Other people may have a different view of course but for many of us there is alway one instrument that always feels like home.

I do also have a favourite shovel too.

Reactions: p6x
My guitars don't get into a case unless they're traveling or not being used for long periods. I keep them handy so that when the mood strikes, I can play. That's important to me, to minimize the fuss and get down to brass tacks. I've only got three, so it doesn't take much work to keep 'em at the ready.

Playing music on guitar is good therapy for me, so yeah, I take care of my guitars, but not to the point of making the setup become a chore. I'm a single guy and don't have to worry about a wife's opinion. Guitars on stand, cables on the floor.

GA20T

Electric guitars: New and shiny is just offensive. They are tools for (mostly rock of some sort) expression. Paint brushes get paint on them.

Quality/vintage acoustic: more a delicate instrument and a work of real craftsmanship I will not hand over to drunks, tend to keep polished and humidified, and put away for safe storage when not in use.

Cody

Well, look who’s undead!
Bolt necks are tools. Set necks and neck-throughs are, by and large, objets d’art, and treated somewhat gingerly... except when temper gets the better of me. I’ve been known to thump the occasional Les Paul into the stage.

fitz

My guitars for the most part have to have a vintage cool appeal to me as well as playing and sounding good. Same with amps. When I pick up my guitars I am inspired by the looks, tones and pairing with whatever amp I am using at that time. Mine are out all the time with the exception of my Martin guitars so I can grab them anytime and plug in when the mood strikes.

musicman1

Somewhere in between. As tools theres cheap dollar store stuff and then theres snap-on tools.

I suppose the gtr can really only be as noble as i am as a player.

Carbohydrates

It's an object of desire, a cool thing that I enjoy for its own merits and aesthetics as much as I enjoy the music I can create with it. I treat it with respect, but not reverence. Just like my car: if it picks up some scratches and bumps from use, then so be it. I'm not gonna think twice about it.

Edit: to be clear, no soul. No supernatural qualities, no transcendent idealism. It's a great thing that is capable of great things, and no more.

monty

A bit of both. They are tools I use, but I dont really have feelings for other tools I use like hammers and stuff. I become attached to some of my guitars.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
It's a tool…

Which creates art and is a form of expression which may move somebody other than myself. For me, it's an escape. Suppose I have two hours to kill alone -- what would I do? On most days, I would use that time to play some music. I handle them all with care but they all have at least minor signs of use and I don't worry too much about that. Some have small dings or chips but I am cautious enough that a lot of my gear is in great condition for its age. I've done some debatably abusive things live, in the moment. For the most part, I am very reluctant to let other people use my gear because I fear they haven't learned how to handle nice instruments with care. To me, "battle scars" due to negligence is undesirable.

vokeyz

Some others have pointed out that some guitars are tools for them others are more noble musical instruments.

When I pop the latches on my
Gibson SG, I have a hard time not feeling a level of nostalgia. It’s not old (2010~), but my Dad basically gave it to me. It was my first “upper mid/tier” guitar. I only had epiphones up to that point and I feel like as it is a tool to make music, because it’s not a livelihood for me, I tend to have many moments of infatuation with guitars that are sentimental.

Ironically, some guitars that I beat the crap out of now will probably be sentimental to my kids.

C’est la vie

Highnumbers

Don’t know where this lands, but I’m primarily a player and collector of vintage guitars.

Part of the attraction of an old guitar is the history that comes with it. And in the course of owning them and enjoying them (as the tools they are), I recognize that I’m a part of the history of that instrument.

To me, most modern stuff is purely a working tool, without the mystique or history that comes with a half-century of use.

estrago1

They're tools, in my opinion. They can be absolutely stunning pieces of art, but at the end of the day, if they don't sound good or play comfortably, they're practically useless. That doesn't mean I don't respect and take care of my tools; I want them in perfect working order. But if I'm looking for a sound that I can't quite get from one of my guitars, I have no problem diving in with a soldering iron and changing it to suit my needs.

Granted, I'd never modify a rare or vintage guitar, but then again, I would never want to own one. I'd want to play it, and eventually I'd want to mod it, which really defeats the purpose of owning a vintage/rare guitar in the first place.

I don't really care about the history of an instrument, outside of a museum; I just want something that I can play and sound how I want it to.

Last edited:

Trending Topics