• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Is your guitar a noble musical instrument, or just a tool?

BEACHBUM

I'm going to hazard a wild guess that for most it all depends on how much money is involved.

Bertiman

I'm not a pro... guitars aren't tools to me. Some guitars I feel bonded to... others not so much. I also don't buy into the paint brush analogies, at best the paint brush would be a pick....

Last edited:

Strato62

mine are tools - nothing special about any of them - my Les Paul is starting to show wear from practice, jams, and performances. I make no real effort to shine it up - my strat is almost 20 years old and the finish protects it but the neck is wearing and the frets need replacement. so... really great tools, and not noble at all.

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
My Fenders have always been tools only. Gibsons are noble works of art to be cherished. Other brands are categorized by how good the guitar is and if I bond with it or not.

Oldschool59

Things don’t have to be noble to be well taken care of. I am a hobbyist. I consider my guitars a passion, neither noble instruments nor tools. Yet, I take super good care of them, as with anything I own. They just look better, last longer and play better this way.

I treat them as noble instruments, but consider them tools that I would have no problem selling and replacing if necessary.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
You've never used a really fine chisel or hammer, have you? :) Yes, they are tools, but they can inspire every bit of awe, satisfaction, and creativity as a fine guitar can for me. But then again, most on this page probably don't have their entire garage dedicated to woodworking and machining...
That’s the Thing, isn’t it? An excellent tool inspires.

My “one” Electric (a parts-o-Nocaster) and “one” Acoustic (a 60’s Harmony) are plain - I find anything above Tele/D-18 level features as bling ;). From that standpoint, they are simple tools (like their owner ;))

However, each represents *so much* investment of time and paying attention to what suits me as a player. They are the best-fit, most inspirational tools I have found after 40+ years of really trying to understand my playing needs.

So they are tools that I have spent a lifetime arriving at.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
I'd like to think a Tele is a noble musical instrument, but in reality it's a baseball bat bolted to a cutting board with some strings on it.

Mr.Woody

Silver Supporting Member
My Les Paul is a tool, my J-45 is more like family :) My Grandmother's guitar is also super special.

NunoVanbamsteen

Gold Supporting Member
I treat them as tools, but expensive tools that have a purpose. if you abuse your tools in any line of work, they will fail you and how re you to get your work done.
Now, that said, i think there is a lot more to an instrument that allows you to express yourself, as it was an expression of someone else's creativity in the 1st place. As I think of it, it's pretty cool that you can derive inspiration from someone else's and so on. They can also be a work of art also used to create art, and other times, just a plank someone's beating on to make noise.
It's all in how we apply thought to the equation, it's highly subjective and very personal.

RicOkc

Noble......I wouldn't go that far. It could be looked at as a tool, but it's a musical instrument to me.

Guess I'm old school, but I was raised that a musician takes care of their instruments. When mine aren't being played they're in their cases.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I was always careful about just everything I owned, even if I did not.

And of course, my guitars have always been very precious to me. No matter if expensive or not, I treat them with equal care.
I never leave them laying around, they are in from their cases or gig bags, played, and returned into them. No way I let them laying about, to be just knocked down inadvertently.
If you think that's an appropriate way to treat tools, maybe you should reconsider how you handle tools.

As for utilitarian objects, I'd say guitars are more like cars than screwdrivers. There's an element of self-expression to them but at the end of the day their primary purpose is still conveyance. That doesn't stop us from washing, waxing, and customizing our vehicles.

dalezjc

I record almost daily so my guitars are on music stands and in guitar racks, for easy access. Mostly they're tools.

Trending Topics