Is your RAT 2 sensitive to buffers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thermoboy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Thermoboy

Thermoboy Member

Hey all,

Yesterday, while trying a new config for my pedalboard, I noticed that my RAT 2 (early 90's - LM308) was getting an important volume boost when a special pedal was activated, further in the chain.

The chain goes like this :

AC Booster > Box of Rock > RAT 2 > RAT clone > Fuzz > Reverb > Hardwire DL-8 > Another reverb.

I'm using a router, and it's the addition of the Hardwire delay that boosts both my Fuzz and my Rat. The other dirt pedals are left untouched.

I am trying to figure what this could mean :

- Is my RAT sensitive to buffers further in the chain? Never noticed that before... I understand that this is a classic for fuzz pedals, but RATs?. The delay generates no volume boost as far as I know, as the other pedals are not boosted by it. Only that RAT and the Fuzz.
    - Other pedals, when engaged and acting as buffer, don't produce the same boost effect. Is it something linked to that particular delay?

This is getting very confusing, as I have now to deal with virtually two RAT volumes. One without the delay, and the other without. The good thing is that I have the delay ON most of the time. But if I had to get it out of the chain for some reason, I'd get a volume loss from the RAT.

I am going to run some new tests tonight, as I noticed this while playing on a small Microcube practice amp. I have to try it on a real amp.

Any feedback from RAT users appreciated !

Thx

2. Stephans

Stephans Member

Both your Rats, or just the original?

3. Thermoboy

Thermoboy Member

Just the original...

4. CaprioM85

CaprioM85 Member

My RAT 2 is sensitive to everything. It's the noisiest thing I have ever owned and that's including when my son was an infant. That said, it was always near my Cali76-cd which has a buffer so perhaps it is making it worse.

thesooze likes this.
  5. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

When you say "router" do you mean a true bypass loop?
    Have you experimented with placing the buffered pedal before the pedals in question?

6. paulitk

paulitk Member

I have one from the late 90s surrounded by like 7 Boss pedals, and no issues.