Is your Sparkle Drive a tone sucker?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shawn3786, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

I've been using my Sparkle Drive for the last 6 weeks now as a boost to my Boss OD-1 and recently I was going through my chain to see if there was a bad connection anywhere, (New Guitar Player article on pedals was my influence here) I had noticed when I took my Sparkle Drive out of line that a whole bunch of clarity was pushed back into my tone. I then reconnected the Sparkle Drive and I lacked the punch I had with it out of line.

Do any of you other Sparkle Drive users find your unit to be a tone sucker? And if so, is there a solution to this problem? An A/B switch wouldn't do me a whole lot of good considering I use the pedal as a boost and in pretty much every tune I'm playing. The Sparkle Drive is claimed to be true-bypass. I'm now iffy on the whole true-bypass theory. Anyways, I'm just looking for tips on how to not lose any tone in my chain.

2. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

I have a looper or and A/B switch that I run my sprakle drive. I have tested it. There is ZERO tone loss. It is really true bypass... if there is a problem with tone loss than you may need to have it checked. Its one of my all time favorite pedals.

3. jgyn

jgyn Member

I don't remember mine being a tone sucker. Batteries, however...

4. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Could be a switch issue? Sometimes as the switch goes, it can muffle the sound a bit. But usually by that point it is really quite obvious.

5. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

My guess is you have a cable or switch problem. The sparkle drive is true bypass so when it is off the weak links are the switch and the cables.

Voodoo Lab pedals are notorious for switch problems but usually in the form of complete loss of signal or signal cutting in and out when switching.

-Tim

6. kram21

kram21 Member

no problem with my sd

7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Mines not a tone sucker, but the dang switch is intermittent.