• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is your Strat Fickle too???

whitenoise

Seems like every now and then, when i pick up one of the two strats that i have, they just sound like poo. The strings feel to high, the pickups sound flat... just like a total soup sandwich.

But other days, i pick the strats up and i cant hit a sour note.

i guess it depends on how they feel that day. my other guitars (LP and such), they always are what they are...

anyone else experiance this?

Thanks

jamison162

Back in the day when a strat was a strat, or a guitar was a guitar for that matter. I knew not much, and didn't care...I was nieve.

But now, nah, I don't have days like that. My guitars are consistent everytime I pick them up (Grosh, Heritage, Taylor).

RJM/rydog2223

I notice it if I'm playing different necks and then go back to my strat. Not so much sounding like poo but me playing like poo.

daddyo

I find if I start my playing session with a lot of distortion and grind, when I try to enjoy a clean chimey strat, it sounds gross. But if I start the other way round, all is good. Ear fatigue.

Scotty J

Nope, my Strat was and still is the best guitar I've ever played. I fell in love with it the day I brought it home, it consistently delivers exactly what I expect from it.

scottlr

Almost all of my guitars do that to a degree. One day one will just not feel right at all, then a few days later, it's the most inspiring instrument I ever laid hands on. A few are more consistent than others. My little cheap MF Les Paul Junior always pleases me for some reason, as does my Les Paul Standard and my 69 RI Thinline Tele. The Strats do seem a bit fickle, somehow. One day any one of them might be the guitar to have, yet the next day, I can't pull inspiration from the same guitar to save my life. Maybe it's ME that's fickle?

Right now I have my Grestch Setzer Sig out on the stand by my TV chair to play later tonight. I fully expect to play it a bit, then take it and swap it for a Tele or the Jr. That guitar only seems to be the right one in a live or recording situation, and almost never inspiring to just play it in front of the TV.

rastus

My favorite Strat is a relic that features all the things I like about various Strats I own from the 50's-60's. It gets played a lot and I prefer pure nickel strings on it. Out of all my Strats, it fights me the worst and causes me the most frustration, but when it's on (read: fresh strings, all stretched in) it smokes every other one in my collection. On the other hand, I have a lowly parts Strat with Fender Noiseless p/ups, it's just screwed together from leftovers, and it's so consistent, nothing affects it in the least. I use it quite a bit. But that custom made one rules the roost.

esoteric pete

Silver Supporting Member
sometimes my strats feel stiff, and sometimes, they feel sweet...its a love/hate thing.

but when its good...its REAL good!

bynt

sometimes my strats feel stiff, and sometimes, they feel sweet...its a love/hate thing.

but when its good...its REAL good!
Amen. But I really think that it's the weather or something because I don't have that problem with my Les Paul and my old MIJ 62 RI never did that. Just my maple neck one (even with a new neck).

Love that guitar when it's on though.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I used to think that way about my old strat. That stopped once it got refretted and set up right. Set up right, it's probably the most consistent guitar I've had the pleasure of playing. Humid weather can affect it, especially if action is on the low side. but that's true with most guitars.

franksguitar

I find that older broken in ones always play better but tonally, they all sound good but different based on different pickups configs and necks (rosewood vs maple). You play slightly differently based on that as well. I have 4 strats all different.

russiancrowe

Right now I have my Grestch Setzer Sig out on the stand by my TV chair to play later tonight. I fully expect to play it a bit, then take it and swap it for a Tele or the Jr. That guitar only seems to be the right one in a live or recording situation, and almost never inspiring to just play it in front of the TV.
My wife thinks I'm the only nut case that does this. I'm going to have to show her this thread. I usually use my tele for this.

I do have a couple of guitars that some days just don't do it for me. My old Strat ALWAYS inspires me though.

Andre357

What kind of climate do you keep it in.......you say it " feels " different on occasion.....are you keeping it in a room next to a heater or something that may effect the neck when it kicks on ( ie - right before you take it out of the case to play ) ??....winter and heaters and also hot steamy weather can effect wood...

Some necks are more apt to warp more than others....then when the environment settles so do they.....

Out of all the guitars I've owned a gisbson Johnny A signature had an awful neck that constantly bowed and then straightened depending on the tempature....

I had a custom classic ( fender custom shop mind you ) tele that did the same thing....both guitars are long gone because of this. When necks warp and bow the pickup height changes which alters tone by the way...so they sound " different "

My main two guitar now are a Custom shop " custom pro " Strat and Custom shop relic s1 tele.....both have necks like frickin rocks that never bow or need adjustments.....I can play out in the snow and the necks stay true......luck of the draw I guess.

Sometimes this happens to me with all my instruments. When I think about it, it also happens with amps quite a bit.

It's probably the player, not the gear.

pjwill

Yes. Every Strat I have ever had, from cheapo to high-end, has been inconsistent as H@#* for me. But I can tell you this...It is the player. As much as I try, I can't get a Strat to sound consistently decent. Now a Tele is another thing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom