Island Instruments: Ronin Foilbuckers & redwood body content

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jerrod, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

For argument's sake, I have purchased one of the "luthier's kits" from Ronin that contains a redwood body blank and two Foilbucker pickups. (I'm not saying I did, and I'm not saying I didn't. :))

I'm curious about your spec suggestions and who you would entrust with such a project. To keep the suggestions inside the frame of what I would spend money on, I intend for it to be a non-trem guitar with a 25.5" scale. The builder must be in the U.S. and willing to take on a custom build with some customer-supplied parts. Ready... go!

EDIT: Nic @ Island Instruments is going to be the one. More info to come.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Halsey

Halsey Member

3. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

let's just say I've already got plans to send a pair of silver Foilbuckers to @chrisforshage for a custom redwood Orion. If I'd known about the luthier kit in time, I would've gone that route and I'll bet Chris would've been down with the idea.

4. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Have you ruled out Ronin? (Yeah I know. I'm not saying I have, and I'm not saying I haven't.)

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  5. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Koll announced recently that to keep their build times down to 18 months they've closed the book on custom orders for a little while. You can still contact them to discuss and quote etc but they won't take a deposit or start work until they reopen in a few months. Very sensible and responsible business practice.

6. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Any particular body shape, chassis or budget in mind? I'll bet @Malinoski got something in his sketchbook that would be fun for this. Cowbrand Design are putting out some very funky creations. If you can wait until the books open, Koll's always a good bet. How about a Thorn Grantura? Or a B3 Phoenix? I'd be interested to see what Myka's custom order situation is at the moment. Then there's a Michael Stevens Neo Classic..... !!

Me personally, I'm going with my own design (70/30 Explorer/Firebird Studio), a 'slightly' modded Bigsby, a 27" scale, and whichever UK luthier I can convince to take it on!

Blanket Jackson and jbp like this.
  7. Jerrod

Thanks. Your design concept sounds cool... looking forward to seeing it.

I have a Malinoski. Check out my avatar. I like him and his guitars. I think I decided that trying to spec a guitar for Malinoski takes him out of where he's best, so I wasn't going to go that direction.

Thorn is on my list.

Gene @ B3 seems less like a custom builder and more like a guy with some products, and thus maybe not quite in his wheelhouse.

I wasn't familiar w/ Cowbrand... those things look awesome! I want one! But I'm not sure about asking him to build something with somebody else's wood/pickups. Like Malinoski, it seems best to let him do what he does.

I hadn't thought about Myka, but will add him to my list to check out.

Saul was already on my list. I'll contact him to see what he thinks. As for Stevens... probably too long a wait, and he already has his own thing going.

Thanks for the ideas.

8. Jerrod

I hadn't thought about it. I should ask!

That thought had crossed my mind.

9. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

No worries at all. Looking forward to seeing how these kits pan out.

10. dB

dB Member

How about Scott Walker, or for a more straightahead T/S/Jazzmaster style, Creston?

11. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

I'll throw my hat in the ring...
    If you want to pm more details about what you're looking for it may fit within my build parameters.
    25.5" scale bolt on neck?

12. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    I think Rich at Agape guitars would be open to this. I have played a number of his guitars, and they inspired a build that is already travelling with UPS to me. Super easy to speak with, creative, and one of the nicest guys you could get to know.

Blanket Jackson and Ben Furman like this.
  13. singing6string

singing6string Supporting Member

Have you considered Nic Delisle of Island Instrument Manufacture? I'm sure he would come up with something amazing for you.

Blanket Jackson and jbp like this.
  14. sargebaker

sargebaker ISLAND Instruments Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for throwing my name out! Unfortunately, I don't check the OP's "in the U.S." criteria.
    That said, for others with kits looking to have something made, feel free to get in touch with me and discuss your ideas. I would very much like to build something using those pups.

Blanket Jackson and Furilla like this.
  15. Jerrod

Hey Nic! I like Canadians... I'm just concerned about shipping and duty complications/expense. That was the reason for my U.S. restriction. I'll shoot you a PM.

Blanket Jackson and Furilla like this.
  16. Jerrod

Koll has respectfully declined.

17. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

That's a shame but I figured it might be the case. Do you feel like the net is getting smaller for companies that will take on higher levels of custom work? Or is it more the case that it's the same as it ever was but it's time to look at newer faces / younger companies and get re-educated again?

18. RoninGuitars

RoninGuitars Member

I would love to see some of the fresh builders take the Luthier Kit and turn it into something amazing, I am sure people will think of things we never would!

Izzy and I are going to do a fun video with a Luthier Kit and build something totally random/new/spur-of-the-moment. We should be done with this right before we ship out the first batch so it will be a fun way to kick things off :0.

19. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

That sounds like a lot of fun!

There are some great builders around with wonderful imaginations so hopefully the luthier kits will fall into their hands.

20. Jerrod

Zeroing in on a spec... and maybe a builder! ;)