1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Iso cab recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by DonW, Feb 16, 2005.

1. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I bought an iso cab to use in the studio and the sound is less than desirable. I was told a condenser mic is what you need to get it right. I used a sm57 and it sounds great on standard cabs. Anyone use an iso cab before and what were the results? Thanks!

2. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Ed DeGenaro has 2 Demeter iso cabs - one with a V30 and the other with a Red Fang. He has posted a number of great clips in the Soundclips section that were recorded with SM57s and e609s. He uses an Emu 1820 sound card and I believe he mainly uses Samplitude/Sequoia.

FVB

3. DonW

Thanks FVB. Mine is a Randall Iso Cab. I go back to the studio next month and I have some other mics to use so I'll see what I can do. Ed's material sounds great.

4. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Indeedy...

5. js54

js54 Member

Ed,

Are all the clips on your site through the Demeter Iso-Box?

Thanks.

6. Ed DeGenaro

There are like 3 that aren't...
    http://www.eddegenaro.com/audio

7. js54

js54 Member

Ed,

If I played the right clips, they sound pretty darn good!!!!

I'm looking to get one, but wanted to know.......

-How much noise and vibration comes out of the cab? Is it safe for apartment use at night? Is it comparable to TV volume?

-Do you have the standard size cab or a larger custom one?

-Any expensive tricks (fancy mic pres, plug-ins, etc) you NEED to employ in order to get it to sound good, or is it pretty usable with a good mic and say an MBOX?

-Any problems or complaints you have with it?

-Is it a pain in the neck to properly position a mic in there?

-I assume it's gotta be better than something like a POD or spkr simulator....do you prefer it to a Palmer-type spkr sim?

Thanks.

8. Ed DeGenaro

It will still be audible a lot if you're cranking an amp. Also remember that the speaker limits how much you can throw in there. I always Hot Plate everything.
    As for fancy tricks...I do have a few plugs I use a lot, verb/delay type stuff but other than that. It's just mic-mic pre-done
    Pre's...the 609 runs through a ted Fletcher thing the 57 through an ancient RCA I ripped out of a board.

And yes it'll be fine with a 57 and Mbox.
    Position is simple depending on speaker.
    Hell yeah a prefer it to any sim...no matter whose.

Down side...if you expect it to sound like a 4x12 you're in for a rude awakening. If what you want is a good recorded tone...bingo.

9. js54

js54 Member

Sounds cool.

I'm looking for a good recorded tone....I don't expect miracles....just something that I can use in my apartment to track with late at night or whenever, but still get a musical tone that I can't get from any POD type thing.
    I would hope that if you had your amp at a moderate volume it would not be too loud to use after 10pm....at least no louder than a TV or stereo.....is this a fair assumption or is this box gonna be too loud for apartment use?

Thanks!

10. Ed DeGenaro

If we're not talking a 100 wtter cranked it'll be fine...

11. js54

js54 Member

That's good to know.

No 100 watters, just a 25 watt Masonette and a 35 watt tweed Bandmaster....

Thanks for all the good info!!
    It's really hard to trust a magazine review. Especially on a product like this where it could be a total bust and waste of money....
    I've been searching for a solution to getting good tone to tape in my apartment. The POD is OK, and micing my amps at low volume with pedals is better, but not ideal. I would think that the iso-cab would be a major improvement to my current setup...your clips are really good evidence of it's capabilities.

Thanks again.

12. Ed DeGenaro

Dude, you're in LA. Call Adam at Demeter and ask whether you can come by and check one out...

13. js54

js54 Member

Great idea...I'll have to do that.

14. DonW

This thread has been great help. I opened up the amp(50 watter)too wide more than likely. (Gain topped out, level on 6 and master at 4) The high gain stuff I'm composing now just plain may have to go through a regular cab.