Iso Cab update...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wallinbb, Feb 9, 2015.

1. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

I had to build/use an iso cab at our church. Here is a <link> to the iso cab build thread I started.

Anyway, I have been not happy with the boominess of some chords, especially a G note on the sixth string. Ugh. I had tried 1x12's and 2x12's and it was just way too much for that cab.

A month ago I decided to go with a Blackheart 1x10 extension cab, loaded with a Fane Medusa 10-75. I could not be happier. It sounds HUGE, and the boominess is gone. I can actually turn up the bass a little for power chords. I have also had more positive comments on my tone in these past weeks than ever before.

If you have to use an iso cab, give a smaller cab a try. You might like it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Thanks for this. How do you mic the iso box? Is the mic right on the speaker, as you would typically see for an amp in the studio? Or do you use some distance?

3. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

I hang a Sennheiser e906 on the grill, right square in front on the speaker, 1/2" off of the center of the cone.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  4. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Have you looked into thicker acoustic treatments? Something like rockwool 2-4" thick on all sides should tame the offending frequencies.

5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I really recommend going the load box/cab sim route. So much better Imho and I tried the ISO route extensively. It's always a compromise, boxy/boomy.

6. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

I have a minimum of 6" of roxul on all interior sides of my iso. The end the speaker is pointing at has 15" It a big heavy beast but it sounds great

7. woof*

woof* Member

Doesn't surprise me, a higher powered 10" sounded better.

8. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

Some great advice here, thanks!

9. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more. I've had almost every Commercially made ISO Box out there and the Load/CabSim way is far and away the better option sound and feel-wise.