• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

ISO: ES-125/225 style guitars

mds

Hey guys,

I've got a hankerin' for a single cut, P90 equipped hollow or semi-hollow guitar, ideally with a bigsby. Budget is under $2k, but I want a good guitar. Not really interested in MIC/MIK at this point, so Epiphone, etc. are kinda out unless they're of the Eastman/Grestch level of quality. Used is good and preferred.

Whats out there?

I've looked at some Heritage guitars, but haven't really found an 525 I'd want to pay for. ES-135 is somewhat of an obvious choice, so thats sorta in the back of my mind. If Gretsch made a guitar without a really thin neck and full sized humbuckers I could drop some PAF sized P90s in, which is fine, but I'm not aware of a model that fits this criteria. Maybe Godin? I used to own a Multiac Jazz and never really bonded with the way it felt or sounded.

I have a boatload of 335 style guitars...just want a single cut for some reason, haha.

Thoughts?!

Thanks!

Since you want a single cutaway you might like an actual 1960s Gibson ES-125T. Most of the ones for sale should be within your budget. They are generally less expensive than a 1950s single pickup ES-225. The double pickup ES-125 and ES-225 would most likely be more than your budget.

Another nice guitar you might like is very similar to the ES-125T but has mini humbucking pickups is a 1960s Epiphone Sorrento. They were made at Gibson's Kalamazoo factory. The double pickup Sorrento may be above your budget. But the single pickup Sorrento probably won't.

woof*

I agree, you can afford a vintage gibson...grab one!
I've owned a couple of these....great little guitars :)

mds

Thanks. Two pickups are gonna be a requirement. I've eyed lots of 125s. If the right one came up I'd probably buy it, but they're usually too expensive or have major issues I don't want to deal with. Certainly a solid option, though.

When the title of the thread says "ISO: 125/225 style guitars" I am going to recommend ES-125s and ES-225s because I like old Gibsons. I reckon the closest thing I have to an ES-225 is a 1960 ES-330TD since the ES-330 replaced the ES-225 in the Gibson catalog. I also have a 1952 ES-150 and a 1956 ES-175D. I reckon I really like 1950s tobacco sunburst finish Gibson archtops. And I can see the appeal of an ES-125 or ES-225. I sold a Heritage H575 because once I got the ES-175 I didn't play the H575 much at all. And I used the money I got from selling the H575 to go toward a 1979 Gretsch Country Club for a different flavor of archtop.

All things considered, since you say you have "eyed lots of 125s" but they are "usually too expensive or have major issues (you) don't want to deal with" one thing you could do is to just keep looking until you find an ES-125 that doesn't have those issues. And as you keep looking you can keep putting up some money and you might find at some point that you can afford a two pickup ES-125 or ES-225. The two pickup models sometimes came with a stock Bigsby.

mds

Agreed on all points and I am a fan of old guitars in general and own quite a few. The real deal is quite likely the most logical choice, just mining for other options.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom