Isolated Power Outlets and splitters

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikoo69, Apr 20, 2016.

1. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

I have a Pedal Power Digital which has 4 400mA outputs.

I want to power 4 Chase Bliss Pedals...collectively all 4 take up under 400mA. Would I be able to have a cable made that has 4 ends from one PP isolated outlet to power all 4? Or does it have to be Y cables for only 2 pedals per Isolated outlet?

I'm pretty sure that the Chase Bliss Pedals don't need to be isolated from eachother (can anyone confirm this?)

In general, what are the rules with sharing isolated outlets? The other thing I want to split is a Boss DD-500 and an Empress Midibox via a Y cable off one PP outlet. Since the empress is digital and not passing signal or connected to any audio cables, will this be fine or might I get noise/problems?

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

You can just use a regular daisy chain to power more pedals from a single output, if you like. As long as the total current draw is less than the capacity of that output, it will be just the same as using a separate adapter/wall wart with that daisy chain. Whether it works without noise is a completely different matter - that depends on the particular combination of pedals, their position in the chain, their position relative to each other and a whole host of other factors. In short, the only one who can confirm if your 4 Chase Bliss pedals need to be isolated from each other is you. And even then, it will really only be valid in your particular rig - the same four can behave differently in a different setup.

The same goes for your proposed DD-500/Midibox combination - the only one who can confirm it will work in your rig is you. Both pedals being digital isn't a factor (as mentioned before), and actually neither is the fact that the Midibox isn't passing signal. It will still become part of the ground network, through the shared power.

The general rules when daisy chaining is to try to combine pedals with similar current draw figures (it's not analog vs digital per se - it has more to do with low vs high current draw figures). Also, combining pedals that are next to each other in the signal chain helps (as opposed to powering a pedal at the start of the chain and another far later down the line). And keep the separation between pedals in front of the amp and pedals in the amp's fx loop. Other than that, it's mostly trial-and-error - some combinations work fine even though they "should" produce noise, and others are noisy even though they "should" be fine.

ChampReverb and MattLeFevers like this.
  3. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

Good luck to you. My experience with splitters with the 100ma has been perplexing to say the least.

4. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I'm powering twelve or thirteen pedals off of an eight-output PP2+ which means obviously I've gotten pretty creative with splitter cables. I've never had any issues whatsoever with noise but as the above post mentioned, results vary widely.

All you can really do is try hooking it up that way and see what happens. In terms of getting four pedals onto one output, the One-Spot daisy chain is pretty high quality, I would recommend that over some of the cheaper ones I've tried.

[​IMG]

gibs5000 and ChampReverb like this.
  5. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

Hmm. How does this One Spot plug into a PP2+? Do you need
    Another adaptor between?

6. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

You're right... I forgot the One Spot has a female end; so you'd need one regular cable coming out of the Voodoo Labs and into the One Spot daisy chain.

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Same here - I'm currently running 10 pedals from a Cioks DC8, with one of the higher current outputs still left open (I'm saving it for a Strymon :cool:). So it can work fine, if you're willing to experiment a bit.

Like MattLeFevers said, you can connect the female plug to the end of one of the regular VL cables. Or if you're willing to sacrifice one of the plugs and the distances aren't too great, you can just skip the female plug and connect the first plug to the PP2+ and the others to the pedals. In either case, make sure to tape up any unused plugs - the positive is carried on the outside of the barrel plug, so it will short out against patch cable plugs and pedal boxes etc.

MattLeFevers likes this.