1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Isolated Power Supply recommendations

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aynirar27, May 22, 2020.

1. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

So I’m beginning down the fuzz/octave fuzz rabbit hole and in the process learning that positive ground pedals are a pain in the butt. Needless to say, my DC brick isn’t cutting it anymore.

Is Voodo Lab still the standard? Is the Friedman worth the money? Is having a knob to fine tune the voltage really that cool?

I probably won’t be gigging for a while but I want something reliable. Let’s hear everyone’s favorites!!

thanks

2. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

I’m looking at a cioks dc5 myself for a nano board I’m about to put together, I think it’ll serve me well but we’ll see. I guess if you like the dying battery thing then the voltage sag knobby might be of some use but if you don’t GAF then, well, you won’t GAF. People here also seem to really dig the 1spot cs6/7, apparently they run pretty quiet but I’m not to keen on the whole positive ground thing. I just plug stuff in and things work although I don’t have too many fuzzes on hand these days. Just the gate crasher and cannon. Also a blender but that’s battery only.

3. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Strymon and Cioks. I'm moving all my old Voodoo Labs stuff. A lot of people like Truetone as well but I don't have any experience with them.

Frank67 and hippieboy like this.
  4. Satch Boogie

Satch Boogie Supporting Member

Cioks DC-7 with the 4 expander for me. I had the one spot CS-12 before which is also an extremely solid choice but the power options on the Cioks and slimmer design prompted me to make the change.

Pedalometrist, blackba and The-Kid like this.
  5. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Supporting Member

Just ordered a Cioks DC7 today !! This thing has some flexibly that I need.
    Prymaxe can do 20% discount, just hope it ships out without any surprises. :eek:

...didn't even bother to check the power requirements on the Jester.
    :rolleyes2::rotflmao

[​IMG]

Pedalometrist and blackba like this.
  6. rustolium

rustolium Member

If you want the best flexibility, expansion, etc, go GigRig. Cioks is great quality and their new ones are a bit more flexible. Voodoo is good too, but a bit rigid. I have not used Strymon, but they look good. In the end learn how to modify cables for polarity and understand load etc. Your life will be easier. It's not rocket science.

To elaborate on the GigRig stuff, I started using it and have found I can configure the board better from a space perspective and get the exact isolated power required for any config including battery simulation. It's super easy to use, really quiet, and reliable. It does end up a bit expensive.

smithguitars and Frank67 like this.
  7. The-Kid

The-Kid CIOKS/Vboutique dealer and seller Vendor

Pretty much allot of people are going to recommend allot of things and you cant go wront with many options.....or can....depends how you want to look at it.

For me Im just after quiet. Nothing else. Just power and quiet

I was looking for some last week. After all the suggestions and help my decisions were condensed to these two videos.

In Voodoo Labs defense they do have a new unit coming out that may or may not be more quiet.......but who knows?

If your after some of the of the most flexible most quite no compromise supplies I cant see how you can do better than these two options....

Id go Cioks or Strymon for sure

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    hippieboy likes this.
  8. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I’ve been really impressed with my TrueTone CS6. At first I discounted them as the OneSpot daisy chain brand but their supplies offer great features at a great price and mine is dead silent. I would buy another without hesitation.

Kelly likes this.
  9. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

10. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Truetone CS 12 for me and I will be getting a couple more at some point. Just don't have a use for the 9v AC tap which could be a deal breaker for some. I have daisy chained a bunch of OD and distortion (6 additional) just to see how many pedals I could power quietly and got up to 21.

abby_normal likes this.
  11. Kelly

Kelly Member

Truetone for me.

12. The-Kid

I ordered a Zuma through Prymaxe. Didnt apply the discount as its already a good deal.

They are like 250$ free shipping.

Id pay 350 for one easy. Just want it to get here already. Hopefully by next week.

13. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

14. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

Don't sleep on Walrus power supplies.

Simple units and do what they advertise. Isolated inputs and an extra outlet built infin whatever you need it for.

I've had great experiences ordering from Prymaxe. I wouldn't have any concerns getting anything from them.

aynirar27, The-Kid and 4b454e like this.
  15. 4b454e

4b454e Gold Supporting Member

Another satisfied TrueTone user. I’ve had the CS-12 and CS-6.
    They’re not as sleek or swanky as Strymon or Cioks but rock solid.

That’s nothing against Strymon or Cioks, by the way. I see these all in a class above the voodoo labs stuff, primarily because of the isolation and flexibility.

16. 4b454e

4b454e Gold Supporting Member

Those are nice features. And @aynirar27 its worth considering that, while isolation will make a big difference, a mess of fuzz and octave pedals won’t need near the current that the Strymon/Cioks/Truetone bricks have available. One of those walrus supplies might be the ticket.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    aynirar27 and blackba like this.
  17. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

those walrus units do look nice. And you are correct, I have no need for higher current capabilities. Isolated grounds are my main concern.

not to mention everything walrus audio is 15% off on their site...

4b454e likes this.
  18. The-Kid

Yeah but take into account. Its using the older taroidal transformers.

Were as these newer arguably much more quite supplies are using new switching tech for even lower to almost zero noisefloor.

Thats pretty important IMO when looking for power supplies. Higher currents or a need for them everyone desires low noise floor.

Alabamarama likes this.
  19. ikan

ikan Member

To summarize, you can’t go wrong with any of these. Boils down to your personal preference:

Cioks, Walrus, Strymon, Truetone, Gigrig

Haven’t used anything else but my Truetone CS12 has been nothing but a rock-solid PSU.

20. townsend

townsend Member

Before Strymon came out with their power supply, I bought as CIOKS DC5. I bought it because CIOKS had lots of great reviews, and at the same time I bought a Pedaltrain board. I think it is the mini -- which did go out of production at that time. The DC5 is one of the few power supplies that fits underneath this Pedaltrain pedal board.

No, I have never put the board together! I keep debating which OD to have on the board, and then I debate what to add in the extra slot(s) (I have a Turbo Tuner --1st edition and a Belle Epoch regular pedal). But I will someday assembly it together. Patient, my friend.