• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Isolated Power Supply recommendations

aynirar27

TGP Sausage King 2020
Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks guy. Definitely gives me some stuff to think about. I forgot o had a one spot lying around so at least for now I can daisy chain my positive ground pedals off of that....I think

HiddenAgenda

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guy. Definitely gives me some stuff to think about. I forgot o had a one spot lying around so at least for now I can daisy chain my positive ground pedals off of that....I think
It's just the cable you need for center positive, right?
Sorry in advance if I've misunderstood the question.

RolandKorg

Do only some of these recommended units allow you to 'daisy chain' multiple low amp pedals from one port? Like, if i had to power 8 pedals, from a 5- or 7-port source?

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
y'all skipped out on the new skinny, lightweight, silent Voodoo Labs hybrid.....

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Do only some of these recommended units allow you to 'daisy chain' multiple low amp pedals from one port? Like, if i had to power 8 pedals, from a 5- or 7-port source?
You can easily daisy chain off of outlets. Having only 5 or 7 outlets doesn't limit you especially if these outlets have 500 or 660mA per outlet. That's plenty of headroom to power high powered digital and tune driven pedals or low mA pedals such as drive pedals. Keep in mind, some pedals such as digital based pedals do not do well daisy chained. Power supplies like the Cioks DC7 actually come with a 3 effect daisy chain as well as a splitter cable to power two effects.

teefus

i felt like the voodoo labs 4x4 and pp2+ that i used for quite a while were kind of thick and noisy. ended up getting a t-rex fuel tank junior and it was tiny but even more noisy. i bought a truetone cs7 and it was like night and day. ended up downsizing my board a little and went to the truetone cs6. i would recommend trying any of the truetone isolated supplies. very reasonably priced and very well thought out.

RolandKorg

You can easily daisy chain off of outlets. Having only 5 or 7 outlets doesn't limit you especially if these outlets have 500 or 660mA per outlet. That's plenty of headroom to power high powered digital and tune driven pedals or low mA pedals such as drive pedals. Keep in mind, some pedals such as digital based pedals do not do well daisy chained. Power supplies like the Cioks DC7 actually come with a 3 effect daisy chain as well as a splitter cable to power two effects.
Thankya.

The-Kid

Pedal Art: CIOKS/Vboutique/Providence Dealer
Vendor
IMO main thing to consider is Noise Floor although the Cioks units are lower noise than most..even lower than Voodoo Labs..there is still noise as seen on vids......from other members that made comments Ive seen going from Truetone to Strymon......they almost all say the Strymon is more quite practically dead silent ......

Short of something like Strymon.....even Yankee systems as posted in Vid that cost hella big bucks exhibit huge noise........

The Strymon in Vid was silent, IMO no noise, close to it, or none that I could conceivably hear. .....

Given the price of similar units......everything in the 180-280$ price range. For 250$ given similar units that are not as quite bases on vids. Id pay 400-450$ for a Strymon unit as its stupid dead quite.

Its a pretty good and I would say better than good deal in that sense given the price and performance

Definately worth the look. Even if you have to get the extension.......nothing beats super low noise IMO especially given the prices.

If it was 500$-600$ dollars Id opt for anything else but given the price, performance, reviews, vids if I was in the market for solid power Strymon is definitely were to look at IMO

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
IMO main thing to consider is Noise Floor although the Cioks units are lower noise than most..even lower than Voodoo Labs..there is still noise as seen on vids......from other members that made comments Ive seen going from Truetone to Strymon......they almost all say the Strymon is more quite practically dead silent ......

Short of something like Strymon.....even Yankee systems as posted in Vid that cost hella big bucks exhibit huge noise........

The Strymon in Vid was silent, IMO no noise, close to it, or none that I could conceivably hear. .....

Given the price of similar units......everything in the 180-280$ price range. For 250$ given similar units that are not as quite bases on vids. Id pay 400-450$ for a Strymon unit as its stupid dead quite.

Its a pretty good and I would say better than good deal in that sense given the price and performance

Definately worth the look. Even if you have to get the extension.......nothing beats super low noise IMO especially given the prices.

If it was 500$-600$ dollars Id opt for anything else but given the price, performance, reviews, vids if I was in the market for solid power Strymon is definitely were to look at IMO
FYI: Strymon and Cioks are the only power supplies in the current market that are true Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS). A little while ago, you were all convince on the new Voodoo Lab then suddenly changed your mind to Strymon. Good for you. But unless you've actually compared units side by side rather than what a video has offered you, you really can't say based on first hand facts.

The-Kid

Vendor
All I will say is even Paul Cioks himself tested his units and they exhibited noise floor under the same stress and conditions the Strymon and Voodoo Labs stuff went under.

Cioks are some of the most quite

Its just in the test undergoing the same test. If Noise Floor is a a factor in a power supply.

To me non of the others were as quite when it comes to noise floor as the Strymon unit given the same conditions, circumstances, stress placed on the power supplies. Noise floor matters. Maybe its not dead silent but as said it was the most quite performing given same conditions, circumstances etc etc.

smithguitars

Silver Supporting Member
Gigrig. Truetone CS12 are my picks. The Gigrig is a 5amp switching supply, worldwide with correct IEC cable. Not sure how that compares the the Cioks and other switching power supplies.

secretchord53

Silver Supporting Member
All I will say is even Paul Cioks himself tested his units and they exhibited noise floor under the same stress and conditions the Strymon and Voodoo Labs stuff went under.

Cioks are some of the most quite

Its just in the test undergoing the same test. If Noise Floor is a a factor in a power supply.

To me non of the others were as quite when it comes to noise floor as the Strymon unit given the same conditions, circumstances, stress placed on the power supplies. Noise floor matters. Maybe its not dead silent but as said it was the most quite performing given same conditions, circumstances etc etc.
Is there a video that directly compares the NEW Cioks to the Strymon? Genuinely asking. As @jnepo1 says, they use the same design and methodology and should produce very similar results.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had both at the same time, doing a direct comparison with identical parallel loops, one powered by Cioks DC7, one by Strymon Zuma. They had identical noise floors in my application. There was no appreciable difference between the two in terms of performance.

When choosing between those 2 companies, I’d decide by which one more fits your needs in other ways. The Zuma has more outputs; the Cioks has more power available per output. The Zuma uses industry standard plugs, while the Cioks uses RCA plugs at the supply; however, the Cioks plugs are very sturdy, and I felt the Zuma plugs were a bit flimsier than I would like (not to mention the issues people have cited about the 24V thru plug for the expansion kits).

When placed horizontally on the board, the RCA plugs stick out pretty far, thus making the board space needed for the Cioks more than the Zuma, despite the actual supply being a little shorter. Plus, the power is on the side of the Cioks (where some of the outputs are, too), making it a bit tricky logistically for some people (including me). I'd rather have the power on the 'back', and all the outputs on the opposing side, but I like to run my power out of the top of my board. The Cioks makes this tricky, and required me to purchase a few right angle IEC adapters.

I'm very interested in the new VooDoo Lab PP3+, as it more fits my needs. However, I need it to be at least as quiet as the Cioks and Strymon, and that info just isn't available yet. Plus, I worry the release is going to keep getting pushed back. Sweetwater has it estimated at early July. zZounds had it at mid-June, but I recently contacted them and they have since pushed it back, saying they were waiting on word from VL (and the dates have been taken down off their site). It's not even up on the VooDoo Lab site right now, which concerns me. I sent an email to VL 10 days ago and have heard nothing. I understand things are slowed down due to Covid, but I would think a week would be a reasonable amount of time to reply to an email asking a few simple questions.

Meriphew

I have some Voodoo Labs and a few Truetone units. Both work great. I really like the Truetone power supplies and they have superb customer service/support as well.

The-Kid

Vendor
Is there a video that directly compares the NEW Cioks to the Strymon? Genuinely asking. As @jnepo1 says, they use the same design and methodology and should produce very similar results.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had both at the same time, doing a direct comparison with identical parallel loops, one powered by Cioks DC7, one by Strymon Zuma. They had identical noise floors in my application. There was no appreciable difference between the two in terms of performance.

When choosing between those 2 companies, I’d decide by which one more fits your needs in other ways. The Zuma has more outputs; the Cioks has more power available per output. The Zuma uses industry standard plugs, while the Cioks uses RCA plugs at the supply; however, the Cioks plugs are very sturdy, and I felt the Zuma plugs were a bit flimsier than I would like (not to mention the issues people have cited about the 24V thru plug for the expansion kits).

When placed horizontally on the board, the RCA plugs stick out pretty far, thus making the board space needed for the Cioks more than the Zuma, despite the actual supply being a little shorter. Plus, the power is on the side of the Cioks (where some of the outputs are, too), making it a bit tricky logistically for some people (including me). I'd rather have the power on the 'back', and all the outputs on the opposing side, but I like to run my power out of the top of my board. The Cioks makes this tricky, and required me to purchase a few right angle IEC adapters.

I'm very interested in the new VooDoo Lab PP3+, as it more fits my needs. However, I need it to be at least as quiet as the Cioks and Strymon, and that info just isn't available yet. Plus, I worry the release is going to keep getting pushed back. Sweetwater has it estimated at early July. zZounds had it at mid-June, but I recently contacted them and they have since pushed it back, saying they were waiting on word from VL (and the dates have been taken down off their site). It's not even up on the VooDoo Lab site right now, which concerns me. I sent an email to VL 10 days ago and have heard nothing. I understand things are slowed down due to Covid, but I would think a week would be a reasonable amount of time to reply to an email asking a few simple questions.
Your right about that regarding Cioks test here for example. There isnt a vid comparing either units and I to wanted to go the new Voodoo Labs or Cioks but honestly just chose my PSU no qualms based of that video

If you really wanted to test out the new Voodoo Lab tech try out the X4. Its using the new Voodoo Lab stuff.

The new Cioks units should be as quite or more quite than the Strymon stuff so there is that. And if @jnepo1 says these are at the same level then yeah go that route I imagine they are as you and he said they are using the new tech and those vids were the Cioks exhibit noise are using the older toroidal design.

Realizing this I may have jumped the gun on going Strymon as I dont think its half bad but in that sense Cioks stuff should be as good or better if the C7, C8 are using switching.

I just saw that one video and just went Strymon. I just want as little to no noise floor as possible. It looks like it delivers. Not saying the new Cioks dont as Jnepo1 says they are as good or better but that personally won me over for sure

secretchord53

Silver Supporting Member
Your right about that regarding Cioks test here for example. There isnt a vid comparing either units and I to wanted to go the new Voodoo Labs or Cioks but honestly just chose my PSU no qualms based of that video

If you really wanted to test out the new Voodoo Lab tech try out the X4. Its using the new Voodoo Lab stuff.

The new Cioks units should be as quite or more quite than the Strymon stuff so there is that. And if @jnepo1 says these are at the same level then yeah go that route I imagine they are as you and he said they are using the new tech and those vids were the Cioks exhibit noise are using the older toroidal design.

Realizing this I may have jumped the gun on going Strymon as I dont think its half bad but in that sense Cioks stuff should be as good or better if the C7, C8 are using switching.

I just saw that one video and just went Strymon. I just want as little to no noise floor as possible. It looks like it delivers. Not saying the new Cioks dont as Jnepo1 says they are as good or better but that personally won me over for sure
Don't get me wrong, I love Strymon (I own 3 DIGs and 2 Flints, haha), and their power options are top of the line. I would put them as equal to Cioks. So the difference would just be in some of those other areas. For me, Cioks made more sense because I run a bunch of Kingsley pedals. 5 of them need 500mA at 9V, and one needs 500mA at 12V, which the Strymon can't supply without a doubler cable. That's not a common power requirement, and the Strymon is great for most combination of pedals, just not me and my Kingsley addiction, haha.

I know you were up on the VL but switched to the Strymon. Honestly, I don't think you'll regret it and the Strymon will be perfect for your needs. If the VL comes out in a reasonable time I will definitely get it to test against the Cioks. I just worry as it's not uncommon to see these releases keep getting pushed back, sometimes more than a year. With COVID, that would be understandable and unsurprising.

Enjoy the Zuma and enjoy the board build!

The-Kid

Vendor
@secretchord53 Plus Line 6 tested out PSUs and came to same conclusion when powering the HX units. Strymon came on top of lowest noise. Not sure if the new Cioks stuff was out by then but that coupled along with the design team I read about.

I read up on the unit as well and the designers. They apparently have aerospace/NASA/JPL type dudes who worked and designed the power systems.

After I read that......I was pretty happy and set.

Aside from power options and this and that all I want is low to zero noise if possible and it seems the Strymon for me will provide that zero questions asked. For that. Id pay up to 400$ for one but given the price at 250$ I say its a better than good deal for what it offers.

Maybe the new Cioks stuff can as others say. Maybe other stuff in general is as quite.

Me Im making my decision based of those videos and how little or no noise I am hearing and well yeah even Line 6 did that one test so there is that as well.

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
I love the TrueTone stuff I have the CS12. I used to have a few CIOKS which are great but moved on to $$$cheaper options.

~ss

The-Kid

Vendor
Don't get me wrong, I love Strymon (I own 3 DIGs and 2 Flints, haha), and their power options are top of the line. I would put them as equal to Cioks. So the difference would just be in some of those other areas. For me, Cioks made more sense because I run a bunch of Kingsley pedals. 5 of them need 500mA at 9V, and one needs 500mA at 12V, which the Strymon can't supply without a doubler cable. That's not a common power requirement, and the Strymon is great for most combination of pedals, just not me and my Kingsley addiction, haha.

I know you were up on the VL but switched to the Strymon. Honestly, I don't think you'll regret it and the Strymon will be perfect for your needs. If the VL comes out in a reasonable time I will definitely get it to test against the Cioks. I just worry as it's not uncommon to see these releases keep getting pushed back, sometimes more than a year. With COVID, that would be understandable and unsurprising.

Enjoy the Zuma and enjoy the board build!
Yeah I dont need those power requirements so based of that alone the Cioks makes sense for you just based of power requirements.

Cioks is also using the new mega quite switching system so it should be as quite or more.

Realizing this may have, could have gone Cioks and been just as happy but I think Im set with the Strymon PSU.

Cheers and thanks man :)

Trending Topics