Isolated XLR splitter vs Y cable

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by strumminsix, Nov 16, 2019.

1. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Hi, I normally submix IEMs on stage with my ART 3 WAY and Alesis rack mixer. Nice setup. But I'm doing a quick show soon with super tight setup.

Where could I run into problems with using a pair of Y cables for my vocals and guitar into an ArtMix3?? This will be a louder rock show in a mid sized bar.

2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Yes, you will likely have a problem, I have only had ok results with a y cable if it is 2 of the same mike, on things that are close to the same level, and never active devices.

3. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Same level?
    Active devices?
    Unsure what you mean.

But I tried an Art Mix3 and it was noisy and sounded horrible with my mic. Used a Mic Mechanic for tone and reverb. Usually I leave my board flat.

Looks like old faithful is getting dragged out

4. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Yes , like using a Y cable on a pair of 57's, miking rack toms, not combining 2 active Di's.

5. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

I'm asking about splitting a single source

6. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Not sure what you are trying to do. Do not combine two mics together via a Y cable.

Y cables can split output of one mic to two mic inputs on separate mixers.

7. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

i use Y cables to split my XLR cables from my helix to the main mixer and then also to my personal mixer for my IEMs. works fine.

strumminsix likes this.
  8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, splitting is usually fine, it's summing that doesn't work well.

i've used XLR Y-cables lots of times to rig up extra monitor mixes, never been a big problem.

strumminsix likes this.
  9. walterw

looks like that thing is just meant to take line signals, no mic pres in there.

for ghetto-rigging an IEM mix look at the rolls PM351, it's meant to do this exact job; it has a pass-through to split off the vocal mic and send it through unaffected. the only thing is it seems more geared to bass players and such, the instrument channel is line not mic. a version with two mic pass-throughs would be perfect for guitar players using real mic'ed amps.

that's why i have one of these jewels in my IEM rack bag, it solves all these problems:

[​IMG]

it's a perfect IEM problem-solver, so of course they don't make it anymore :mad:

strumminsix likes this.
  10. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Here's what I tried out:
    https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/05...kmfPEAzFTKGQmNte1w-gRXY2Gj7IkMegaAtU3EALw_wcB

Supposedly good for mics. But apparently not. That Shure mixer looks great. I used a Fishman acoustic amp with pre EQ and effects direct out with great results.

Think I'll just grab my rack with an Art 3 way and Alesis mixer. Bulky but effective.

11. brain-eating amoeba

brain-eating amoeba Member

12. walterw

pardon the bump but it looks like rolls finally has the thing for us guitar players!

[​IMG]

two mic passthru connections plus a monitor input; now you can have your own voice, your own mic'ed guitar amp, and whatever house mix you can get.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020 at 10:00 PM
    strumminsix and dougb415 like this.