Isolating headphones for drummer reccomendations wanted

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rob2001, Feb 25, 2008.

1. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I don't have seperate headphone mix capability and the drummer is always complaining he can't hear the click. When it's loud enough for him, it's blowing everyone elses ears out!

Does anyone think a pair of Isolating cans will help him out? I'm thinkin maybe he won't hear as much of the live kit that way. If so, any reccomendations for a reasonably priced pair of isolating headphones? Thanks, Rob

2. joeysmac

joeysmac Member

Shure E2s are the best priced "over-the-counter" isolating in-ears in my opinion ($90 or so). For the same price that you can get some of the better universal-fit in-ears, you can get great in-ears custom molded from Live Wires ($250 total). They are the best investment I've made, they fit great and they sound amazing!

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Hmmm... never thought about in-ears.... this is for recording but i'd think in-ears would be very isolating yes?

4. joeysmac

joeysmac Member

Yep...the over-the-counter/universal fit kind you can get at Guitar Center and they just have little foam things you put on (they feel like ear plugs) and stick in your ear. They will isolate the sound ok, but molded ones realy do the trick.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Thanks Joey, any other suggestions out there??

6. jawjatek

jawjatek Member

Senn HD280. They isolate real well. I got mine for around 85 on EvilBay. YMMV

7. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

In ears, and a set of ear defenders worn on top.

Or try these: http://www.mercenary.com/moreme.html

Or...buy a different headphone amp (behringers are what, $150 or so), and feed the drummer his own click, and keep it out of the other mixes. Most of those beh headphone amps let you blend between two mixes, just feed the click into the drummer's 'B' mix, and dial it up to taste.

Cheers

Kris

8. eyeteeth

eyeteeth Member

Is this "A" Drummer, or do you have multiple drummers in your studio? I wouldn't want to stick anything in my ears that had already been in someone elses... eeww.

I use Sony 7506s in my studio. I think they're rated for about 22-25db attenuation of outside noise. There are some out there higher, but the price point goes up from there as well.

9. moody07747

moody07747 Member

I play electric sets but like the sound of the Sony MDR-7509s

For general studio use I have the Sennheiser HD280s

for your drummer I suggest getting a small mixer which you can run a sub out to his monitor.
    Even a Behringer could work for this.

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

LOL!! Just one drummer! Funny, I had a pair of 7506's and they blew out when he was using them! I was pissed, they were nice cans!!

DRfanken, I do have a 6 channel headphone amp but it gets a single feed from the DAW so whatever I put into the amp goes to all listeners at whatever volume they want. Ideally i'd be able to turn up just his click but I can only turn up his entire headphone mix. I think the best solution is in ears for him with defenders on top.

EDIT..... I re-read your post, yes, I could get another headphone amp for just the drummer. Thats a possibility.

The thing is, part of me thinks he's just being difficult because he hates playing to a click! But we are doing a showcase of sorts for some producers and part of what we need to demonstrate is our ability to hang with a click. They will have cans on too and I can't just crank the click and blow thier heads off!!

The studio we will be going to has a seperate headphone mix for everyone and last time we were there it was awesome. They probably have more tied up in the headphone monitoring system than I have into my entire, modest home setup! Thanks for the tips guys.
    Rob

11. GP_Hawk

GP_Hawk Member

Ok, there's always these for good isolation, and a little more for the metrophones with built in metronome with a seperate speaker for the click...

12. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Dump the click....switch it for a percussion part, or a programmed beat. Your drummer won't have as hard a time playing to, I'll bet.

Cheers

Kris

13. loudboy

loudboy Member

+1 for the Extremes. Ever drummer we've had in has liked them.

Loudboy

14. 6789

6789 Member

switch the click to another drum machine sound that the drummer can hear more easily.

I use Vic Firth isolation headphones. drums are usually so loud, the drummer should still be able to hear his drums. in the unlikely chance that he can't tell him to wear the headphones a little crooked so the sound of the drumms leaks in.

[​IMG]