Isolation Boxes - What's The Best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Electric I, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Electric I

Electric I Member

No idea what brands/specs to consider.

Please steer me in the right direction.

2. Option

Option Member

I intended to go that route once. The more research I did though, the less it seemed like anyone was really getting anything great (or even usable) from them. I think the physics of sealing a speaker in a box, regardless of insulation, mike placement, speaker used, etc. makes for a strange, boxy sound due to the sound waves bouncing around in there. I had an AxeTrak for a few weeks. Was OK for heavy dirt. Pretty unsatisfying overall. Sold it. The options I looked at were the AxeTrak, Demeter and Roland models. Again, they'll keep your sound mostly in the box, but as far as recording goes, doesn't seem to be a great solution.

3. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

I've tried the Demeter and Randall. Currently have the Randall isolation. It's definitely difficult to get the same sound you get mic-ing a speaker in the room--maybe even impossible. It can sound somewhat congested (my experience was the same with the Demeter). I have better luck with a condenser mic than something like an SM57, and some EQ (which I do in post as I lack any kind of decent EQ unit for recording).

I'm also no big recording brain. So I could be doing things all wrong. I know Ed D. has used the Demeter and his results sound excellent, as I recall.

4. Electric I

Electric I Member

Yessir. I haven't been happy with recording direct thus far, so I'm looking into alternatives.

5. Electric I

Electric I Member

Thanks for all the input so far.

Maybe amp/attenuator/mic is the way to go?

Any attenuator suggestions?

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I rmember when Holdsworth was using iso boxes, he said the secret was to get a box big enough that the resonant frequencies that cause the boxiness are below the frequency range of the guitar and are easily eq'd out.

7. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Ed DeGenaro (of THD) uses the Demeter cabs & has posted some very good clips of it.

Maybe he'll chime in or you could PM him.

It looks like the best option for me, but new, they're a little pricey & used,they STAY pricey.

I found some plans online for building one....if that's an option for ya'.

8. Electric I

Electric I Member

Makes sense. Thanks for that.

9. Electric I

Electric I Member

Options continue to grow. I thank you.

10. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

A big house on about 5 acres of land and lots of trees between you and your neighbors.

yes, I wish I had that, too.

11. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

What gear do you suggest for such a setup, John?

12. Electric I

Electric I Member

Various od / dist / eq / cab sim boxes into a boss br-864. Not exactly a pro setup, I know, but it's been serviceable for demo purposes. I'm actually looking to upgrade all links of the chain. Staying away from computer/sotware, though.

Definitely under consideration. Any specific recommendations?

13. Electric I

Electric I Member

Heheh... that'd be ideal.

14. LReese

LReese Member

I'm very interested in this thread. I have a Demeter and I'm not very happy with it. It is better than a MASS/Hotplate and a Palmer PDI-09. Maybe I don't have it set up right.

5 acres and a huge house/trees is not enough, been there, done that...:roll

The vocalbooth cab box sounds promising, but pricey...

15. Unburst

Unburst Member

This is a great suggestion, a loaded amp DI'd into Guitar Rig running speaker cabs works very well.

16. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The best Isolation box I have used is one of these:

[​IMG]

17. PUCKBOY99

What is it about the Demeter you don't like?

I've wanted one for a while, but haven't found the right deal just yet.

Someone sold one here on TGP not long ago, but I still think $600 + used is a bit much.

I use a Weber MASS & have had good & bad results with it:crazy :confused: :messedup

18. LReese

LReese Member

It is kind of choked sounding (think this is what is defined as boxy - not sure). I find the mic gooseneck very difficult to put into position. I just broke mine. I'm using a Weber 1230 55HZ with various amps. Micing with a SM-57 into a Firebox.

Part of the equation is user error. I'm sure an experienced person can get a lot better results.

I figure if I set my mind to it, I could make a better and more effective enclosure.

19. PUCKBOY99

Thanks ! :BEER

I don't recall where I saw the plans for building your own. Some DIY site, but I'm sure it wouldn't be overly hard.

I might try to track that down & maybe give it a shot.

20. Luke

Luke Senior Member

I built one that sounds great. Pathagreon's (sp?) says the box has to 1.6x the height in width, and 2.6x the height in length.

I use 6" acoustical foam on the end receiving the volume load, and 2" everywhere else. I left the floor raw concrete to give a little bounce. On the receiving end I also put two 12" round bass trap foam columns, floor to ceiling.

I housed a Bogner 4x12 so my box's internal dimensions are 40" tall, 64" wide and 104" in length.