ISP Decimator II vs Decimator II Gstring?

Modulator

I got a Decimator II to use with my loud noisy pedals, it works great and I'm very happy with it. What am I missing out with the GString version?

Ugly Bunny

The G string is much more effective. It uses your guitar's signal to trigger the gate; your effects pedals, amp, and loop effects can all go in the G String's "loop" and all noise is reduced. The regular Decimator II just has an in and out. Not terribly effect, IMO, at least compared to the G-String.

I actually just sold my G String today and the guy called me back saying it didn't work. Well, he didn't realize you had to have all 4 connections plugged in; he tried to use it like a regular Decimator II.

So really, it's just the WAY they work. I think the G-String is definitely the superior, but it's not without its flaws. It can kill sustain if you have the setting too high and try to do a long, soaring solo, for instance.

It would take two Decimator IIs to equal the noise fighting capability of just one Decimator II G String. See store for details, void where prohibited.

minty901

if you put decimator before your dirts then your guitar will silence but hiss from dirts still comes through. if you put decimator after dirts you silence everything but kicking on dirts will increase your noise floor meaning noise threshold has to be changed.

g string solves these issues entirely.

Modulator

Thanks for the answers. That loop makes sense. If I run into issues with my setup, I'll look at that, but for right now the Decimator II seems plenty for my use. I have a Keeley GC-2 used as a hard limiter, which results in a hiss with lots of gain before it when I stop playing. I love how the GC-2 keeps everything at similar levels (I have the threshold at about 1'oclock, makeup gain at about 10am), but hate how I can hear the hiss rising up as soon as I stop playing. The Decimator 2 right after it at about 1'oclock is exactly what I was hoping it would do. I'm sure if I had even more insane gain, I might need the g-string, but for now, I'm very satisfied. Noise reduction's come a long way since I last used anything for NR.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom