ISP Decimator - please tell me this works!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gasp100, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

This post is in reference to another post going on about 60 cycle hum. People keep recommending this (I would get the pedal, cheapest I presume) and I'm wondering if this would cure my noise ills, or if shielding the guitar cavities of ALL my guitars is inevitable.

http://www.isptechnologies.com/decimatorproducts.htm[/quote]

Let's dig just a little bit deeper into the "60 cycle" hum for a bit. My computer/home studio/amp rig is in my basement. No fluorescent lighting, but the junction box for the whole house is literally right behind the rig (I'm moving the rig tonight for testing). I have 2 seperate (but related) noise issues. When I'm close to my amp changing settings or when I sit directly in front of the computer (especially with the monitor on) I get what I believe to be 60 cycle hum. A low, droning, buzz. If I sit off center or move away from the amp, this usually clears so it's not a huge deal.
    A different noise, bigger problem is that on ANY of my 7 guitars right now if I don't have my hand on the string, volume knob or tuning machines I get a very high end buzzing sound. Repositioning doesn't seem to help and with critical listening (via headphones or recording direct) it seems like all my guitars suffer this pretty bad. So much so that even while playing in some instances I can hear the high end noise floor.
    I thought that shielding the cavity's of the guitar might fix this, but I really don't want to have to do 7 axes :BOUNCE
    The only guitar that was okay was my Reverend with humbuckers (which is now gone) but man cannot live with humbuckers alone. It still would buzz sometimes.
    Is this a different type of grouding issue and would the ISP decimator take care of this as well? If I feel the guitar is to blame would I go:
    guitar - ISP decimator - amp - direct out to computer / headphone out?
    Or would it sit somewhere else in a recording configuration. ISP decimator fans, please speak up! This could be the silver bullet!
    BTW - I have Dimarzio area 61 's + 54 coming in the mail, I'm interested in seeing how they fare as well.

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

this is me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLTXpyD5FhI

as you can see, it works.

i have the WORST dirtiest power in NYC, plus on top of that i have dimmers on ALL my lights. horrible. but the decimator does its thang.

eventually tho i switched to Dimarzio Areas, it cleaned it up so nicely i didn't need the decimator anymore.

i did find out after i got the Areas that one of my amps needed a recap tho, got it capped, and now the whole chain is so quiet i can't believe i still live in the same power grid!

here i am with a tele with Areas in it to the recapped ancient 1952 amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naKu8RvWITQ&feature=user

even with a deluxe memory man analoging out, it's hiss free. the only hiss is from the crap onboard mic on my point and shoot camera.

3. Gasp100

Dude!!! Your YouTube should be a sticky at the top of this forum
    :dude
    I'm sold, that IS the hum and it's killed. I like that little Music Man too, very cool. Even if the Dimarzio's are super quite there is no way I can afford to put them in all my guitars, so I'm ordering my ISP decimator now.
    Thanks!

4. LReese

LReese Member

Demo sounded great! That noise problem was much worse than mine.

I wished I could make mine work as well... Mine sounded kinda unnatural when sustaining notes. I'd hear the hum along with the note then the gate would close. Bothered the heck out of me.

In regard to the high pitched hum, shielding should take care of that. The Areas would likely not take care of the high pitched hum, depending on how well the factory shields them. But the Areas should take care of 60Hz hum.

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

The Decimator will not "kill" the hum, it will gate your whole signal when it fall below a certain level.

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for posting that - it just reaffirms what some of us have been saying for the past few years. The pedal simply works. It may not be perfect and when not carefully set it can cut off notes, but for most hum and most rigs, it'll take care of the noise while keeping all of the dynamics and tone intact.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Because of Jahn, I recently copped a Decimator for my own 'board. Works as advertised. Great pedal.

8. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

I currently own Jahn's pedal - it still works as advertized.

9. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

Use an Ebtech Hum eliminator to get rid of hum/ground loops as well. Works great!

10. dosmun

dosmun Member

Your problem is not what the Decimator was designed to fix. You need to figure out the sources of your problems and fix it there.

11. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I use one in the effects loop of my JVM to tame the massive gain induced background noise for the OD-1/-2 channels at their highest settings.

It works like a dream and doesn't affect my tone at all.

12. PFCG

PFCG Member

does anyone use the prorack g? Is it better than the pedal or is it the same thing? i want to get one because my amp gets a ton of feedback when its cranked and im using my ocd. and could i get a few more words on that ebtech ?

13. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

That is the ultimate right now in consumer guitar noise reduction abatement. Go to the web site and do some homework. It's much more expensive and more capable.

http://www.isptechnologies.com/decimatorprorackG.htm

14. PFCG

PFCG Member

im not really concerned about the price, its about 450 for the stereo version. I just want to know it works like they say it does, and if works better than the pedal version sound wise. do you have to put it in your fx loop or no?

Im about 2 seconds from buying it, i just dont know if its the same guts in the pedals as the racks.

I used to have a boss noise suppressor NS-2 and it blew. It sucked really bad and sounded like ****. I dont want that, and id rather not spend 450 bucks on something like that.

15. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

16. Gasp100

It's working like a dream for me... 2 minutes to dial in my gate, sweet, slient relief.
    I KNOW that my issue is more with subpar shielding in all my guitars (including a $2000 TELE :BOUNCE, Fender, shame on you!) but this is clearly a workable, easier and cheaper alternative to ripping open all of my guitars, shiedling the cavity, doing the star ground deal and then maybe getting better results without the pedal.
    Unless I just hold out a note for quite a while, or play extremely lightly, it's fine. The tone change is minimal (if at all) and it looks solid as well.
    Personally, I don't see how a gigging musician could do without one.
    Finally, something that I'm happy with and don't have to send back to Musician's Friend :rotflmao

17. cameron

cameron Member

I like the Decimator. I don't use it for eliminating single coil hum so much as to eliminate noise from inherently noisy pedals (the Mayo is the biggest offender on my board). I tend to turn the Decimator on and off as I play, it's on between songs, and I often turn it off when I start playing, because I use a pretty tight gate when I have the Mayo on. When neither the Mayo nor the OCD is on, and I'm going to play clean, I generally leave the Decimator off, even between songs.

18. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I still use my old Rocktron Hush pedal. These work very well onstage and has been a real workhorse.

19. david henman

david henman Member

...precisely.

desirable for some, but if you like to adjust your picking dynamics and guitar volume knob to suit your playing style, a noise gate will be nothing but a hindrance.

it also messes with your dynamics in other was, including crucifying your reverb and delay trails.

-dh

20. david henman

david henman Member

...amen to that!

-dh