Issues Staying In Tune - G String

embryo

Most of the guitars I've had have had an issue with the G string staying in tune. It seems like no matter what when I use a tuner it either is sharp or flat, and the needle just goes back and forth and never stays in the middle like the other strings. When I try to play octaves on the A and G string, it always sounds like **** and out of tune. It drives me nuts. Is this an intonation issue? Is it just that the G string has the most strain on it because it's in the middle of the neck? I have Schecter C-1 Elite and I use Elixir strings.

Brian N

For whatever reason, the G string is almost always the problem string.

The issue is the nut. You need to lubricate the nut underneath the string. You can use pencil graphite, or if you want something less messy, big bends nut sauce

sg~guy

-the G-string is always the problem child, I've tried all the things mentioned and more, then once I was at a blues jam, this old weathered dude see's me keep re-tuning my G-string,.. he told me he used a wound G-string from a higher guage ,... Still in standard tuning, took me awhile to get used to the extra tension, but it stays in tune and I actually seek out the G-string now because it rings out so much better, really like to play it open with under & over tones...

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
G string intonation problems started when G strings became unwound.
-the G-string is always the problem child, I've tried all the things mentioned and more, then once I was at a blues jam, this old weathered dude see's me keep re-tuning my G-string,.. he told me he used a wound G-string from a higher guage ,... Still in standard tuning, took me awhile to get used to the extra tension, but it stays in tune and I actually seek out the G-string now because it rings out so much better, really like to play it open with under & over tones...
I agree. I never had tuning problems using 11-52 with a would G. Ever since I went to 10's with unwound G, I have had more problems.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
I used to love wound Gs, had to buy them 2 or 3 at a time.

AFAIU G strings are an issue because they are the unwound string with the least tension. They warble if strat magnets are too strong (sounds like part of your problem) and they hang up when using the trem arm. For the most part some lubricant and proper nut solves the latter and weaker magnets (still being V) solves the former.

I find it's better to error on the side of the g string being a bit flat than sharp, I actually like it a bit flat sometimes.

Spuddy

Try a earvana nut on it sorts all the intonation problems I've had. Or as said lube nut, check intonation and nut slot cut angle.

Frozen Rat

Platinum Supporting Member
I was really scratching my head thinking, 'I never have that problem' until someone mentioned you had a Strat. Every Strat I owned had a problem with the G string, especially after trem usage. The low e too (the thick one). I don't care what anyone says, those darn Strat trems are such a PITA. You do have to lube your nuts so they don't bind up. I lube my nuts every morning whether they need it or not and sometimes at night if I'm in the mood. I usually prefer to have someone else lube them but there's not always someone around who's willing to do it... I may have gotten a bit off topic here. Play songs that don't use the G-string, that'll help.

Al Varez

Nut slot is probably too tall, part of the problem. I had similar problems with G staying in tune. I tried switching to wound G strings and it sounded awful. I'd rather endure tuning problems than have to use a wound G.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
My Townsend SG did this. Till last night. I took a file and widened the top of the notch in the nut. I use Nut Sauce as well and BAM no more hanging up. My other guitars don't have this problem, it was just this one.

embryo

Thanks so much for all the replies, I appreciate it. Use this thread to discuss this problem in general.

Trending Topics