Issues with my lefty Gibson Les Paul R7

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jkslee, Jan 19, 2008.

1. jkslee

jkslee Member

Hi all LP lovers!
    I got a lefty LP R7 two months ago. Overall, I'm happy with it, it looks fantastic and sounds amazing!

Here are my issues:
    1. tiny cracks on the fretboard binding where the frets are (I didn't notice this on my previous LP standard)
    2. pickup bindings not a perfect fit on the guitar
    3. the dot fret indicators are on both sides of the neck bindings (top&bottom from the playing position) even though its a lefty guitar other lefty guitars are not like this
    4. the top hat volume/tone controls look cheap!

i may be picky but i thought custom shop guitars are supposed to be quality. anybody or any leftys with similar issues?

2. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

A Les Paul lover ehhh ... Take a look at mylespaul.com ! I have an R8 and the cracks by the frets are normal for Nitro laquer ! As for the other issues .. There are upgrades for things like that !! Click the link in my signature to see more about R guitars !

3. 8Painting

8Painting Member

My question is, why did you pull the trigger on a guitar like this?

Unless some of these things started to happen as you progressively had the guitar.

I wouldnt worry too much about the looks though, if it plays and sounds great, who cares?

Given the fact that people pay thousands extra to get something "aged" you already seem ahead of the game, not to mention a few little weird quirks.

Maybe they gave you an aged guitar, and you didnt even know it!
    haha

4. Thwap

Thwap Member

Well, I'd echo the why did you buy it...or why did you keep it past the return date if these things are bothersome to you.

5. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

Re the fret dot markers, I believe having them on both sides of neck is vintage accurate. In the old days, they'd just take a 'righty' neck, flip it over, and add another set of dots to the 'top'. So this is correct on your R7.

FWIW, the neck pup ring has a small gap on my R0. These things don't bother me too much, the playability and tone more than make up for trivial (to me! :D) cosmetic issues.

I have more issues with the awful pots, which most people replace anyway. Such a high priced instrument that comes with what amounts to on/off pots? Now THAT seems crazy in a $3000+ guitar!