Issues with the H9

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DanSimon, Feb 9, 2015.

1. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

I have had the H9 for a few months now. It took a minute to figure it all out, but i'm reasonably familar with it now.

1. It often clips, or if thats the wrong word, i sometimes get a crackly/dirty sound, mostly on delays, unless i roll back the volume.

(clean Soldano HR50+, using the H9 power adapter) Someone here on TGP said it clips at +8db, while the Timefactor clips at +20db.

It would be nice if these were the same number, as the H9 released later and costs more.(especially this max)

... is there a mod or remedy for the low headroom ?

EDIT : I made some progress so i removed the other question i had here. And i want to say that the H9 is awesome the more i delve into it.

It usually doesnt clip too badly except on certain sounds, and i felt that my comments were exaggerated or negative. It took me some time

to really dial in the sounds.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

um, i did it on a few patches, maybe thats the answer.. but i still cant understand why the Timefactor's headroom is apparently so much higher.

thanks for reminding me about that!

3. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I found that I got slightly less clipping by setting the input source to "Synth lead."

I ended up re-adjusting my loop gains and things work well for me, now.

4. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

I never noticed any clipping issues in my H9. Where do you plug it in?

For warped vinyl effect (and also Strymon Deco - both sides) i use tape delay algo, and for my ears it sounds pretty good to forget about those two pedals :)

I am very happy with all the delays H9 offers to me, sold all the delays i had.

Using mine for a year now, and i found some issues too, but it's not a problem for me. With iPad and an aux switch it's super easy to operate. So many people share their presets here, and solving problems with it, and Eventide are still releasing updates, which is really cool! Actually i don't think that my money sunk into it, even after i maxed it out :)

5. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

Yeah I always had annoying clipping problems running it into the loop of my Mark V, especially with the Pitchfactor algo's. So much actually, that now I strictly run it in front.

At first I had a humming problem running it in front, but oddly that all went away when I switched it from True Bypass to DSP.

6. jrjones

jrjones Member

Mine didn't like the loop of my badcat, but I just got a matchless and am running it out front with no issues.

7. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

well i'm not running it in the loop but i'm about to try the "synth" input setting and reducing the input gains for some presets. thanks y'all for the suggestions.

8. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

im bumping this just once .. anyone have any ideas regarding :

1.Slower modulation speeds.

2.Raising headroom ..( the input gain is already set at 0db across the board and cannot be lowered. )

9. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Did you try changing the input source type, to see if that helps any?

10. Timmay!

Timmay! Member

Silly question, but what do you mean by setting input gain to 0dB across the board? That sounds like you're setting input gain for each individual preset. I didn't think that was possible as Vintage Delay (for example) only has a control for Output Gain.

You probably know this already (but just in case): H9 Control App has a separate setting for global input gain, which you can find under Pedal>Input Gain & Level Meters. From there, you can set input gain from 0dB (maximum) down to -60dB (minimum).

11. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

yes you are correct, i do know that, i should have said 'globally' rather than across the board. in a nutshell the gain adjustments don't offer much help cuz

i cant reduce input gain below 0 where its aleady at + i feel like output vol. is not causing the clipping.

But i did figure out the tremolo thing, i really don't think u can effectively tweak thr presets away from a computer, it seems like some of the ranges are, perhaps

restricted on certain presets ? maybe cuz of the exp. ped. mapping ?

12. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Yeah, you really need the H9 Control app on a computer or iOS device to get to all the settings. That's ultimately why I got rid of my H9s.

13. stringman340

stringman340 Member

Actually, you can tweak every single parameter/setting from the unit without the app I believe.

Don't know if you've checked YouTube, but Eventide has like 30 short videos on what I'd consider to be the main block of information you'd have to know. I use the app, but menu-scrolling is nothing new to me and it's pretty standard on the H9; the deep editing is there if you wanna put a weekend into getting smooth with it....good luck!

14. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Not quickly/easily in a live setting.

15. stringman340

stringman340 Member

True, and the same holds with all the other digital multis out there too. What I've found to be most helpful, is I think of the XYZ buttons as 3 "main" knobs on an analog-type interface and assign them that way. I.e. X=mix, Y=feedback, Z=time for example, in a delay patch - tt's just like tweaking, say, a Carbon Copy when you setup like this. Quick to adjust live, just gotta put some time in and plan things out :phones

16. Sean413

Sean413 Member

Also I'd read the manual about the global input setting I believe you're suppose to increase the gain until it peaks. And it will internally adjust the rest. Turning that up won't change your output volume. I'd set it with your drives on.

17. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Pedals like the Space or the big Strymon units have access to all or most parameters right from the front. It's nice that you can set 3 parameters to the XYZ buttons, but if I have them set to mix/decay/predelay on a reverb and need to adjust the bass or treble on the fly...

It's a great sounding unit, and if you do everything via MIDI or have an iPad handy during your set I'd use one no question. It's just not for me.

18. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

Cool feature, also doing this, just in case.