Istanbul agop turk series

ericdrmz

to me it almost seems like some controlled temperature (heating) process
to get that discoloring .. (like some brands 'dark matter' lines)
to me they look a little bit 'burned' , i like natural or darker and hammered
cymbals.. but that discoloring 'glow' i have to get used to.. (it's all personal)

Hugh Manitee

What's the deal with these mehmet Sahra series? They are visually stunning but not sure if there is an agop equivalent

Ex. https://reverb.com/item/37018887-istanbul-mehmet-sahra-22-ride-cymbal

Are these some combination of hammered and lathed? Or some special steps to produce ?
Sand lathing (essentially, lathing with sandpaper or wire brush). Mehmet used to make the "Origin Dark" cymbals with this finish, but they have been made as regular unlathed cymbals for the last several years, maybe longer. Example of older OD's:

No current Agop equivalent as far as I know. The closest would be the OM series, but that's a different method (fully lathed, then heavily "pre-aged" with a chemical that patinates the alloy).

See also Murat Diril's "Mosaic" line, which Round Sound sells.

reganjeremy

Sand lathing (essentially, lathing with sandpaper or wire brush). Mehmet used to make the "Origin Dark" cymbals with this finish, but they have been made as regular unlathed cymbals for the last several years, maybe longer. Example of older OD's:

No current Agop equivalent as far as I know. The closest would be the OM series, but that's a different method (fully lathed, then heavily "pre-aged" with a chemical that patinates the alloy).

See also Murat Diril's "Mosaic" line, which Round Sound sells.
nice video... that ride definitely has the icy-ness factor on the bell.

reganjeremy

I ended up with almost complete set of turk stuff, other than hi-hat and the trashes:
* bosphorus black pearl 15" hat
* turk 10" splash
* turk 8" bell
* turk 18" crash
* ion xist 19" trash / SE 16" trash
* turk 20" ride
* 30th anniversary 24" ride
* 22" custom flat ride

will build out one complete set of turk stuff eventually with hi-hat and one additional crash. then substitute one or two other cymbals from other sets to showcase those based on what i'd like to try. even though this list plus a hi-hat is in no way a SMALL setup, I am planning to just use it as a platform for a variety of sets based on the core dry sound.

Trending Topics