It can be that hard, can it?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gdomeier, Feb 15, 2006.

1. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I do all my recording via podxt. I have a new amp and want to record some clips. Trouble is, the recording sound nothing like what I hear live. In fact, it sounds like total canned ass.

I'm using a sm57 into my pod (set as a mic pre). I have moved the mic around, but it mostly sounds the same. I have searched the forum here for tips, but I'm still at a loss.

help!

2. covert

covert Member

Get a real preamp.

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Freudian slip? It can be that hard indeed, esp. without the right gear.

+1 on the preamp, even a real cheapie.

4. gdomeier

Yes, freudian slip indeed :) I will likely look at getting a behringer usb mixer of some sort.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

How important are these clips to you? There is indeed a HUGE difference in the quality of preamps between your POD (horrible), the Behringer (barely adequate), a dedicated preamp by a reputable company or a higher quality mixer, and a really decent preamp. Then you have to look at the quality of the convertors. Every added feature implies another compromise to keep the price down. So, ideally, you'd get a good preamp (like the Studio Projects VTB for around $200 or the RNP for $500), and a good convertor (Lexicon perhaps? or get a no compromise combination like the Apogee Mini). The SM57 is a good mic. A compressor would help you get those classic punchy rock sounds (hardware, not software, which comes after the AD convertor) like the Blue Max or the RNP. So, how much are good clips worth to you ;)

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

You could be moving it around for a LONG time, doing it by trial and error. Try this,
    and yes, get a real preamp. The RNP is a very good value. Forget Behringer.

7. wilder

wilder Member

I doubt the average person wants to spend $500 on a FMR pre and still need some converters to take advantage of it. Something like the M-Audio Mobilepre would probably be a 1000% upgrade from his current pod/soundcard arrangement for $150 new. There is a middle ground between the minimum gear a pro would use and the pod as a preamp. Here's a clip of a song where the guitars (and everything else) are recorded through a cheap roland mixer into an M-Audio Delta series PCI card. It's not professional, but it's better than canned ass.

http://www.llanoutility.com/slashclip.mp3

Chris

8. gdomeier

I still plan to do most of my recording using the pod for amp modelling. There is almost no time when I can record a live amp using a mic. Kids watching tv, not wanting to disturb the neighbors, sleeping spouse etc.

I was hoping to record some simple clips and the odd track for recording using my new amp. I appreciate the suggestions. Keep them coming!

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If it's going to be a rare thing, and sonic purity isn't a huge deal, then one of the all in one solutions like M-Audio, Lexicon, Mackie etc are probably your best bet...

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Suggestions for what now? Recording the Pod?

11. gdomeier

Suggestions for what types of hardware I can use to replace my pod on the days I want to record my amp.

12. gdomeier

13. covert

covert Member

The average person doesn't want to record guitar playing. Musicians often want to do things that are not the average, and therefore care about the best ways to do them, and the things that effect the queality of the results.

That said, it is certainly a good concept to keep your gear scaled to what you hope to achieve. The M-Audio stuff isn't bad, and similar units like the Mbox can produce very useable results. In strict fact I can't imagine a worse setup than using a pod as a mic pre.

14. joseph

joseph Member

I don't think you posted your hardware specs beyond the pod...?

It's implicit in the posts above, but I'll mention it as a relative newbie myself - the converter (ie, the analog to digital back to analog hardware that you use between your microphone or guitar ie analog musicial instrument, and your computer ie digital) has a Huge effect on how good or bad your recorded tone is. (I don't have a pod, but it obviously functions in part as a converter).The converter includes a sound card which is usually light years beyond the typical 'soundblaster' card that comes stock with a PC.
    It's worth it to buy a quality converter, certainly better to spend the money there first rather than new microphones, fancy analog preamps, etc.

15. gdomeier

I have the 57 going into a xlr to 1/4" coverter into my pod. THe pod is acting as my soundcard. The pods output goes into my pc via usb connection.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Place the mic correctly, get a real preamp and a decent sound card. The Pod is a neither a preamp nor a sound card.

Good luck!

17. joseph

joseph Member

?? Now I'm confused. I don't know Pods, but isn't it instrument > Pod >computer? And therefore, isn't the Pod something like a pre-amp, though admittedly not a sound card..?

Where I'm coming from.....I bit the bullet and payed for an RME fireface, which I use with a standalone PC. It has it's own sound-card technology, and a direct-in input for guitar/bass, so when you consider it's a bit of an amp/speaker emulator for direct recording, a mixer, as well as an interface, it wasn't as overpriced as it seems.

Using Cubase SX3 with it, I can get silent direct-in tones that sound like amp in room recordings (takes a lot of tweaking but it's possible).

18. gdomeier

The podXT can function as a USB soundcard. It plays both input from the pod and output from my pc. I play music and games through it all the time.

I do not know if premap in the guitar amplifcation world means the same as preamp in audio recording world. The can act as a preamp in the guitar amplification world.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Change/keep whatever you think best, have fun, good luck, I'm out.