It Don't Get More Out Than This...

RileyBoy

So I really didn't miss anything by not getting to see the Fare Thee Well Tour?

3.116-1wm.jpg

wombat66

I liked it. Didn't seem so out or atonal that "It Don't Get More Out Than This...".
Not sure what's up with the floyd and dead references; this is composed modern classical music of the twelve-tone serialist variety.
Obviously a lot of people don't like it and thus its been since the early 20th century when Schoenberg's music was condemned as "degenerate" and audiences rioted after Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.

Skeet skeet!

If all that was actually written and transcribed vs parts that would prompt for improvisation, it seems from my vantage point an impossible piece to play. Such long periods of non-melody, I dont understand how you would hold it in your head. If all notes were actually written out, I would be amazed at the level of difficulty here.

But still not uplifted by the final product.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Some people find an odd beauty in the dissonance. I have selective ears for it and admit that I listened through most of the OP's video. It was actually, imho, composed and performed well for what it is.

BriSol

If all that was actually written and transcribed vs parts that would prompt for improvisation, it seems from my vantage point an impossible piece to play. Such long periods of non-melody, I dont understand how you would hold it in your head. If all notes were actually written out, I would be amazed at the level of difficulty here.

But still not uplifted by the final product.
Everything I got by watching the video indicates that they're playing something composed and are clearly are accomplished musicians in some way. They have sheet music in front of them and the parts involve them being rhythmically synchronized together at points.

That's sort of why I think it's important to make a distinction between "I don't care for this" and "this isn't intentional music" or "they're just playing random crap". I can understand saying the latter if it's Henry Kaiser maybe. But when people (not speaking to you, but people) just say that avante-guard stuff like this is literally "randomness" without musical intention they're just wrong.

I didn't find the sonic result that great to listen to myself.

wombat66

not an original piece and definitely not as out as the Wuorinen piece, but I liked this arrangement of the fourth movement Bartok's fourth string quartet made by Joe Gore (a guitarist who worked with a lot of famous musicians like Tom Waits, PJ Harvey, Eels etc)

it's easy to see why progressive rock musicians were influenced by him

That was excellent. I really dig Joe Gore.

Last edited:

MrX

Wow, seriously? That to me sounded like a bunch of guys sitting around and tuning their guitars for 8+ minutes! o_O :D

Trevordog

Not even close to as out there as it gets:

I'm sorry, Dom was going along pretty out, but then he got into that low E pedal thing that disqualified him.
Cecil and the AEOC disqualified themselves right away with the minor 7th and minor 9th chords Cecil played in the piano intro.
The Crumb piece was pretty out until about 16:10 when they started playing in Gb Major pentatonic for a couple of minutes and were immediately disqualified. But the fact that those three chicks were wearing masks should count for something...
The last two pieces didn't even have a guitar in them, which is kind of an unwritten law here.

Trevordog

Nice! Definitely not for the boring "Music needs to have good melody to be good music" crowd :D
Fortunately I like all kinds of noisy and chaotic stuff from time to time and can see the beauty and power in it.
Not sure if you're aware, but this concept of avant-garde classical (whatever you wanna call it hahaha) with an electric guitar ensemble dates back at least almost 40 years now

Glenn Branca of course on a much bigger scale than the guys in your OP.
I wouldn't be surprised if Charles Wuorinen was influenced by Branca.
At any rate, it's cool to see people still have a passion for this type of thing.
If I could find anyone even remotely interested in this kinda thing I think it would be a hell of a lot of fun

I'm sorry, but the Branca pieces were clearly disqualified from the very beginning - the first one having a repeated pedal point bass figure of E to F#, and the second clearly in the key of E.

Trevordog

I won't even dignify the Floyd, Fripp and other stuff, but the reason I posted the piece in the OP was because I didn't know there were any serial pieces written for electric guitar. One of the guys is even playing a Jackson, and check out all their pedals!

noley

Frequently Mistaken for Fabio
If not for all the magnificent arm flourishes, the piece in the OP would be Disqualified! for laying that Strat on the floor.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom