It finally happened...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hellbender, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

2. hi-fi-dave

hi-fi-dave Member

If she was busted, maybe she will get out of the ticket?
    :idea
    [​IMG]

Turi likes this.
  3. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

If this thread descends into "speeders vs highway monitors", I'm with the speeders.

stratotastic, pbmw and Turi like this.
  4. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

Oh my.

skydog likes this.
  5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Sometimes I stare...

Sometimes its me...

S.
    j

6. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    About 2 weeks ago I had a woman tailgating me hard on the entrance ramp of a 3 lane highway.

Traffic was heavy and the merge on is pretty short. Apparently I wasn't merging into oncoming traffic as she seemed to want me to do, so she passed me on the right shoulder.

She couldn't immediately get back over into the lane from the shoulder due to traffic and she just kept accelerating trying to cut back in. I had merged on and was 3 cars behind the one next to her as she raced up the shoulder.

Somehow a big bag of trash, one of those larger "contractor" jobsite cleanup bags had gotten on the shoulder. Little Miss Pass On The Shoulder hit it. Of course it lodged up under her car, melted to the hot exhaust, tore open and trash was flying out from beneath her car. She never so much as even braked or slowed down. People driving in the lanes, like normal people, slowed down due to all the flying trash, so that gave her the chance to cut back from the shoulder into the lane. She proceeded to then cut across all 3 lanes into the left laft lane and speed off....trash flying and melted trash bag flapping from beneath the car. In-f##!ng-credible.

7. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I've been driving a 2 lane highway for the last 20 years that has a nasty rep for bad accidents due to lots of exits to roads and even driveways as well as alot of curves.

The getting passed only to end up at the light together syndrome is strong in this neck of the woods.

Unfortunately so is the "my 4 wheel drive pickup defies the laws of gravity" crowd. I've witnessed several incidents where being passed ends up with the passer going off the road into a field or someone's yard and even in to a lake.

My wife, unfortunately, has witnessed 2 head on fatalities, both due to some a&^hole stomping on the gas and trying to blow past a few cars going around a curve.

So I'm always happy to see or hear about someone getting pulled over when it looks to me like they've decided to make their own driving rules.

8. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Not the case in reality. I go over the speed limit, actually with the flow of traffic in CA. And driving 8 hours a week, at 10 mph over saves me about 80 minutes a week. That I spend with my daughter.

JBid likes this.
  9. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Supporting Member

While it's true that cars have gotten better, drivers have gotten dumber.

StanG likes this.
  10. jaycee

jaycee Member

THis is a big pet peeve of mine. People who refuse to keep up with the "general" flow of traffic. Not that they have to drive like maniacs, but depending on the road and the conditions, it only takes one person to muck it all up.

aussie_owner and JCW308 like this.
  11. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Yes, you will see traffic slowdowns on the highway, and when you get to where it is flowing freely there is usually one person causing the problems. Going too slow, braking all the time, etc. ruins it for everybody else.

jmp2204 likes this.
  12. Structo

Structo Member

There is a road to my home that is posted 45 mph.

I always seem to get behind a driver that is going 10 to 15 mph under the limit.
    It's not safe to pass so you just have to follow.

Very aggravating, but I have mellowed with age.

Someone made a point that I think more should think about.
    You never know what the other driver is experiencing.
    Maybe there is a reason they are going slow but it can still be an exercise in patience.

sundog964 likes this.
  13. JBid

JBid Member

Never say never. I made it from downtown Sacramento to Santa Barbara in 3:20 in an LT-1 Corvette, in an emergency situation. I never looked at the speedo or rearview, I was pretty sure no one was passing....

14. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Not too long ago I had a sort of reverse instance of this happen. My usual route home includes about a five mile stretch of road that is non-passing and the speed limit is 50 mph except for this one intersection that's a school crossing where they knock it down to 15 mph around the intersection. I got stuck at the beginning of this stretch behind an Oregon plate doing 30 mph in the 50. I never tailgate but I did give him a flash of my brights and a toot on the horn after a mile of 20mph under the speed limit for which he gave me the finger. Alright, another arsehole snowbird, whatever...I'll be out from behind him in four more miles. So we get to the end of this run where the school zone is. Arsehole doesn't slow down for the kids and cruises through the zone at the same 30mph (I guess he drove here from Oregon at 30mph). Motorcycle cop right there and nails him. Double the speed limit in a school zone...oh yeah, that was a very expensive ticket.

Needless to say I smiled and waved as I went by.

rsm and aussie_owner like this.
  15. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Same here. Someone replied in this post something like "that's easy - speeding is driving faster than the posted speed" and this is the cause of many accidents in and of itself. No common sense.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  16. Turi

Turi Member

LOL. Stick your "in reality"..

I drive anywhere between 6 and 10.5 hours a week, at the speed limit purely from home to work.
    10 mph = 16kph.

I'd get clocked and cop a fine if I was caught doing that, and the only route from my town to where I work has cops and speed cameras camping out, every time. Every single time.

I wouldn't risk it tbh. I'm sure my daughter would dig that her daddy doesn't spend all his moneys paying off fines and losing demerit points because he's speeding and breaking the law. Also I'm studying law and deliberately breaking the law isn't the greatest look.
    Oh hey, every K over is a killer BTW.

"In reality".. get outta here.

The general flow of traffic should be the speed limit. Anyone going slower, overtake 'em. Anyone going faster, I hope they get clocked, cop a fine, get divorced by the missus and have a hard time seeing their kids every fortnight because they can't afford the petrol because all their moneys is being spent paying fines for breaking the law.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  17. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

From the thread title I thought the OP was gonna say he was finally famous because his name is in the phone book.

18. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Yes, that's exactly right. People who use a legal product to let them know when and where the state is observing them must be assholes. :rolleyes2:

Great logic there. Now get back in the left lane and go exactly the speed limit.

19. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

Man, I'd love to go sling down a few beers with you and see what kind of **** we'd stir up. Hilarious.

Turi likes this.
  20. StanG

StanG Member

As a Prius driver this scenario gives me great joy. I do my best to keep out of the way when going for that extra tenth a mpg but still like leaving the next intersection before the car that passed me earlier.

rsm, JBid and T Dizz like this.