It may not be a true boutique but wow! Fender Super Sonic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MusicGearGuys, Jan 29, 2006.

1. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

I was able to hear the new Fender Super Sonic at the NAMM show and wow!

Vibrolux or Bassman on the clean side. (Foot switcable) and high gain or vintage gain for the second channel. (it is like starting at a Prosonic and getting just right)

Comes in a 1x12 combo or head. The street price will be right around $1000.

I wish I was a dealer cause I want one. I guess I will wait until the box stores get them in.

Here is a link to the Fender site for more info:
    http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=amplifiers&cat=new

Did anybody else try one?

Gregory

2. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I had a chance to try one at my local Fender dealer! I did not get a chance to turn it up past 2-3, but it seemed like a winner to me. Nice blackface tone in the clean channel (switch for vibrolux/bassman, the bassman was much darker), although I wish it had a bright switch and a middle control.
    The OD channel has 2 gain controls, bass, mid, treble, master - no reverb on the head, only on the combos. Even at bedroom volumes I was able to get great tones. I was expecting really high gain, but it's geared more towards classic tones to my ears - definitely has some Marshall flavor, but still retains the Fender twang. It won't do death metal tones, but that's not what I am looking for anyway. With humbuckers I'm sure you can get close to some early VH tones.

3. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

By the way, there's no vintage or high gain switch for the second channel - the switch labeled "vintage/burn" is the manual channel switch - vintage is the clean side, burn is the OD side.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I was standing next to Gregory when he heard the SS demoed and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised.

I expected more ratty ass tones like some other Fender attempts at high gain but this was different. Goosing the mids gets you into classic Boogie territory. Scooping them give you Recto-style buzzsaw tones.

I can only comment on what I heard so I'll reserve judgement on the thing until I actually get to play one and tweak it myself. Even so, with the proper marketing, Fender could have a great seller here.

Given the state of litigation in the industry, anyone wanna speculate on the English translation of Uberschall? ;)

5. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Member

Can anyone comment on the internal build quality?

6. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Yes, interested in that issue. One of the things I like about my DRRI and Bassman RI is the hand wiring and chassis mounted tube sockets.

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Is this what this place has come down to? That something has to be a "true boutique" (whatever that is supposed to mean) in order to qualify for being any good?

This is yet another thread that has really made me wonder whether it matters around here if something sounds good or is well built, as long as it's expensive and exclusive.

:mad:

No personal offence aimed at you Gregory, it isn't only you... and you're at least open-minded enough to have listened to the amp. Just something that's beginning to really grate on me.

:(

8. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Member

Well, in general (usually but not always true), boutiques are built better and sound better than current mass-produced amps. So, well, yes - if you have the cash and can hear a difference. All IMHO, of course, and many will disagree.

9. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Actually, I am with you John.
    Boutique doesnt mean better IMHO. Thats why I picked the tittle.
    I'll tell you, I used to carry some of the best high dollar "boutique" guitars and amps made in my old stores. Trust me they went back for repairs just as much as overseas guitars and amps.

Personally, I am a player. The reason I looked at the Fender is because I want a good gigging amp (workhorse) for the clubs and bars, and church and so forth.
    An amp that I wouldnt care if it smells like smoke from the bars.

Its funny, I know so many players that play out with Crates or Fenders or Marshall's while their $3000 amp stays in their basement at home.

Enough rant though.

I agree with Alec, I really need to dig into the Super Sonic before I can give it a true thumbs up.
    I am wondering if they had a different model come out first though.
    I dont think these have shipped yet, and this is the second time I heard someone say that the head didnt have reverb.
    I could swear that it did though. Just left of the name on the faceplate.

It didnt have the bottom end of a Rectifier for that Nu Metal thing, but had a ton of gain IMO. More like a Mesa like Alec described, but you can scoop the mids to give it a liqiud lead tone. The clean tones were fantastic.
    Not like a /13, Bruno, or a DR Z, but then again its street price should be under $1000.
    I also want to see how it reacts to pedals.

IMHO I think Fender has a winner here that will become a classic in time.

Gregory

10. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Sorry Gregory, I missed the deliberate irony in your post (and they said it was Americans that didn't understand what that meant... ;) :))

Just for the record, I am not 'anti' boutique gear as such - when it's truly better, or different from anything made on a larger scale - I just get annoyed by the constant snobbery about it...

:(

11. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Cant wait to play one, It's a shame the combo is only a 1-12, I think I am going to order a head, anyone else with a review?

12. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

Im really hoping this amp delivers, I neeeeeed and amp just like this.

13. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

+1 John

Here's were some of you guys may laugh.
    I will be using a Tonelab SE with it.
    A buddy of mine bought one for in front of his Heritage and 59 Bassman reissue. He doesnt use speaker simutaters on it and doesnt need an efx loop with it. If you dial it in right it sounds amazing. We tried it against many other amps including a reissue Twin and Super Reverb and no dice. It sounded just amazing with the Bassman though. As good as any "boutique" amp IMO.
    If this works with the Super Sonic, I have a winner. Using the Bassman side with my Tonelab SE or using only the EFX of the Tonelab SE with the Super Sonic's gain side. Its just a matter of what sound I need and saving programs on the SE.
    I'll be able to cover most every style for a cover band.

Gregory

14. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I still wish they would have added reverb to the head. Fender knows how to do reverb and to leave it off the head, sucks.

I still really want to play one, so far I have been seeing pretty mixed reviews.

15. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

It does have an EFX loop though.
    The Combo sounded great too.
    Gregory

16. bscepter

bscepter Member

You know, it looks great 'n' all... but it's just not expensive enough. :Devil :Devil :Devil

17. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Thats funny.
    OK here is the deal. I will buy them at $1000 and sell them for $3000.
    People will know that they are better because it cost more.:D
    This will help offset the depreciation on the one I play out on.:D

Besides I need to start puttin money away for my little girls college.

Sorry I am always budget minded. Its funny, when I used to put on sales nothing would sell. But as soon as MSRP tags were up they sold right away.

Makes ya go hmm doesnt it?

Gregory

18. Deaj

Deaj Member

This looks like a great amp! I look forward to playing one soon. The blonde 1x12 combo looks very nice.

19. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Member

Regardless, we need to know if it is built sturdily on the inside. There are good PCBs and bad PCBs. If Fender has achieved a good PCB and bullet-proof construction at such a low price, then even the most die-hard of boutique zealots will get excited.

20. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

All true.
    It looked well built to me but I really dont know what I'm looking for on an amps board.

I still havent seen a bullet proof amp though. What does that mean?
    I have an AK47 here that says it will proove that no amp is bullet proof.:D
    Seriously though, we all hate for an amp to crap out durring a gig.
    Although, I've had $3000 hand wired amps do this too. Personally I like to travel with a back-up. Thats another reason I like using the Tonelab SE. You can also program it to go straight into a PA. It makes for a nice backup if you have floor monitors to hear yourself. I havent used one yet but there are some good reviews on the little Crate Block amp for a back-up as well.

Deaj: You have some nice pedals. If you get a chance to try those out with the Super Sonic, I'd love to hear a report.

Gregory