It´s time for a KOMET (Concorde/K60/K19)

Earplayer

Hi there!

After selling lots of gear the last couple of month i am now looking for a Komet (again....). The Komets are probably the most fascinating amps ever for me since i heard the first time of Komet-amps from Guy Fletcher (plays Keys for Mark Knopfler) years ago.

I have sold some good old vintage gear and so far i am not looking back. So now there are two Pre-Rola Basketweave cabinets from 1969/1970 waiting for some new heads (a G12H and a G12M cab). In the meantime i play different amps from my best friend - and the Alex Attenuator should be here in a few days...

Well - now here is my problem. Unfortunately they are top dollar and it is impossible to try one over here (i live in Europe). So i think i have to get one based on reviews - these amps are haunting me really really bad.

After missing some amps in the emporium (was looking for a Concorde and a K60) - i think i will order one... but maybe i will wait a bit longer and get a good deal on a used one since they are expensive tough especially if you want to invest in nos tubes too.

My music goes from Blues, Classic Rock (Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix, Free, ZZ Top, Cream, Lynyrd Skynyrd) to Heavy Rock in my band. My own stuff is a mix between Mark Knopfler and Tinsley Ellis with a bit Matt O Ree i would say...
A good Les Paul and a good Strat are everything i need.

Searching the board shows lots of older threads - so what would be your favourite Komet nowadays or what would you suggest?!? Discuss... :JAM

All the best, Tom.

Keld

Haven't had the pleasure of playing the other Komets, but the Constellation is a really wonderful amp. Maybe not the best for the heavy stuff, though it can certainly get into that territory.

mj07

Gold Supporting Member
From the music you describe, the Connie does sound like it would suit you best.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I've played a concorde and it was awsome! Mark Knopler used to use two K60's...

n4p226r

you cant go wrong with any of them, but for me, the k60 is the best of the bunch. especially with your vintage cabs and the music you listed. the red and black ones sound the best!

cbfurg

Buy used and you can try them all by trading around. Probably won't lose any cash and that way you can have the satisfaction of knowing you made the right decision.

Just a thought! :D

Earplayer

hi!

thanks a bunch mates!

yes mk plays two k60´s. i never understood why he switched to reinhardts because his tone was so much better with the komets. his tech told me that they were still a tad too loud and his fav. el34 model with nos tubes from ken is now in the studio just like the modded model with the old 5881 tungsols - also the endorsement has something to do with it... anyway mk is def. one of the reasons i want a k60. has anyone played a k60 or a concorde with an alex attenuator?

actually i am a bit surprised... the concorde is very popular over here and it seems that a lot of folks prefer the overdrive sounds of the concorde over all other models. i also really like the k19 and the constellation but i am afraid that i am more of an el34 kinda guy... damn i would want to try out all models........

yeah i am looking for used komets but they are really hard to find. i think a k60 and a concorde would be nice to have maybe i can afford two komets... :bonk

p.s. if you know someone who wants to sell a komet - let me know.:D

cffluntouch

Platinum Supporting Member
I own a K19 and a Concorde, and love them both. I use the Concorde for big outdoor gigs and the 19 for just about everything else. The Concorde sounds bigger and thicker as you would imagine, and the K19 is simpler and easier to control because of the smaller wattage. Both embody the Komet traits of cleaning up very very well just with your guitar volume knob, and both sound great attenuated ( I use an Aracom). I would also suggest trying to find used so you can easily flip it if it's not to your taste. They are up for sale in the emporium here from time to time. However, Hogy and Mike at Komet are great to deal with and you have the comfort of them taking care of things if something were to go wrong. Good luck!

JP

Guitarist of Mojo Radio
I am a proud Owner/user of a Komet K60. I purchased my K60 from Ken/Ultrasound in early 2008 and have never looked back. I have had bouts of GAS and went the route of 3 Monkeys and Bludotone phase and came back to my beloved K60 and is the end all amp for me.

That being said, I have done my tweaking and found the right mix of NOS Tubes & Bias,Evidence Audio Lyric HG,Siren Speaker and Source Power cable in addition to my 3 Monekys 2x12 sealed back cabinet loaded with Scumback M75/LHDC-65 watt speakers. The Komet killed my need for a pedal board and now days I mostly run direct. The K60 takes pedals very well and depending on your style,tubes and working the fast/gradual mode, the K60 should cover all your needs from here on out.

In a nut shell, Komets are all about "Less is More" depending on your playing style & technique, You can coax pretty much anything you want out of these amps. The K60 opened my eyes to the real beauty of Non-Master style amps and Master section distortion/tone. The old records/tone sound the way did for a reason and it all boils down to Non-Master/Power section distortion and volume. Hands down these amps are worth there weight in gold and the tone and Quality of build show that. Not to mention, they sound Freaking Killer!...

I play in the vain of late 60's/early 70's Blues/Rock, D.Allman,Clapton/Fresh Cream Era,B.Gibbons,P.Green,J.Hendrix,J.Page,P.Kossoff,Black Crowes,Gov't Mule,R.ford,S.Landreth,J.Bonamassa and so on, This amp gives me those tones and more. Remember, they are loud and designed to be played in a band/stage gigging level. The benefit is worth it, you will also notice how well the Komet is voiced to fit in the band mix and have a almost 3D way of filling a room around the band/FOH PA.

My Setup is simple, 2 LP's loaded with Sheptone PAF's,RS Vintage wiring Kit,SOB strings, Pedal board is a ProAnalog Supa Quack Wah,TIM OD/Boost "Solo's/Neck PU/Sustain Lower volume Slide",Empress Deluxe Vintage Delay and that is it. Running a strat is bliss, just crank the volume and go!

I say do it and don't look back! If you have more questions, PM Me. www.shakemysoul.com for Audio or YouTube Soul Shaker Madison. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
I miss my 6V6 prototype. I'd love to ad a K60 to the stable someday and use it with the RCA 6L6 Blackplates I'm saving for it.

davebc

I just pick-up a Connie, my first Komet.

Man, I'm speechless!
I don't know what to say, and I'm never at a loss for words.

This is the best example of "Less is more!" I'm completely floored by the subtle changes in texture and nuance you can get by blending 3 simple knobs.

It has to be the most touch sensitive I've played. Harmonic feedback is really effortless, and that's at pretty much any volume.

It banged pushing a 4-12 Marshall. Personally,I prefer open back (2-12) which according to Hogy is an ideal match with the Connie.

Damn, this thing is fast, fast, fast! I love what it's doing with my Strats set at the edge of break up.

It really has it's own very distinct personally.

It's also changed my perception of el 84's. My prior experience was with my DC-30 and Lightning 15.

I know volume is a very touchy, subjective issue. I find this amp to be perfectly manageable. Loud? Yes but 30 watts isn't breaking any windows.

I'm still on the hunt for a Komet 60, my first choice. But this Connie is amazing, damn this this is fast with single coils!

Last edited:

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe we need a few pics.:beer
cid_image002_jpg01C9B3BB.jpg

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
I just pick-up a Connie, my first Komet.
Man, I'm speechless!
I don't know what to say, and I'm never at a loss for words.

How about Less is more? I'm completely floored by the subtle changes in texture and nuance you can get by blending 3 simple knobs.

It has to be the most touch sensitive I've ever played. Harmonic feedback is really effortless, and that's at pretty much any volume.

It banged pushing a 4-12 Marshall. Personally,I prefer open back (2-12) which according to Hogy is an ideal match with the Connie.

Damn, this thing is fast, fast, fast! I love what it's doing with my Strats set at the edge of break up.

It really has it's own very distinct personally.

It's also changed my perception of el 84's. My prior experience was with my DC-30 and Lightning 15.

I know volume is a very touchy, subjective issue. I find this amp to be perfectly manageable. Loud? Yes but 30 watts isn't breaking any windows.

I'm still on the hunt for a Komet 60, my first choice. But this Connie is amazing, damn this this is fast with single coils!

The Connie is a fantastic amp. So rich in harmonics and overtones it's just sick. I want one of them as well.

MBJW

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my K-19.

How does K-19 compare with the other Komets for those who know?

Hasn't the Constellation been discontinued?

The K-19 is about as loud as a 30-watter. How loud Komet's other amps? I've heard VERY loud.

59805_140104749367025_116213535089480_212362_2825486_n.jpg

v-verb

Haven't had the pleasure of playing the other Komets, but the Constellation is a really wonderful amp. Maybe not the best for the heavy stuff, though it can certainly get into that territory.

Another vote for the Connie. I've played all Komet models except the 80 and have had 2 protos. The Constellation is my fave production Komet (I have 2 Connies, will get around to selling one someday). Amazing cleans and Killer overdrive!!

davebc

It seems like you can't mention the name Komet and not have "loud" come up in the same sentence.

Here's my observation
There's not enough emphasis placed on the fact that these amps are totally usable
anywhere on the guitar's volume.

Does it sound amazing cranked up? Yes!
Does it have to be cranked? Absolutely not!

I'm having the same inspirational playing experience regardless of where the guitar volume is set. It's like seeing everything in color for the first time.
The amp really does offer the ultimate in playing dynamics.

I haven't even scratched the surface.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom