It seems like such a simple pursuit!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Stevo57, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

All I want to do is make loops in Reason 3.0 (fantastic product)
    Rewire that into a basic recording program with a few tracks of guitar
    I record myself. It doesn't seem like a lot to ask. Why then after trying
    to accomplish this simple project do I feel like loading a gun and.......
    Theres always some freaking glitch. I get a better audio interface, install and load it to the letter. But oh no, now things that worked perfectly before (midi keyboard) suddenly disappear from function. With no clue as to how to get them back. Every stinking setup box is so complicated. It's all overkill. So many parameters to set and no logical path to find them.
    Makes me want to go to the pawnshop and buy an old reel to reel. It would probably sound better too. :FM

2. joseph

joseph Member

Windows or Mac?
    Either way it's a computer, but especially with the Windows monopoly, you're still running Windows masquerading as a 'virtual recording studio'.
    See all those listings in the yellow pages for Computer Technical help?
    They're employed for a reason ;) .

On a lighter note, 'Gates vs GM'

http://www.lifeisajoke.com/miscellaneous7_html.htm

3. Stevo57

This particular snafu is on a Windows machine. I rarely have any trouble with my Mac, but it's a quite dated G3 400 mhz, and most of the modern
    programs, cards , adapters etc. are beyond it's model# and balk at loading.
    I'm going to try a different approach tonight. I'm going to try to get the digital signal into the recording program from the sp/dif bus. That will probably present a new set of issues, but I will forge ahead. The new audio card came with Cubase Lt, Sonar Le. The Cubase interface seems to be the cleaner of the two, but it's also the one I'm having the midi issues with. The card also came with a Proteus plug in. I can't get that to work at all. Reason has more soft synths and sounds than I'll ever use and they load and work perfectly every time, given the midi connections are working properly of course.

4. drezdin

drezdin Member

I do this with Reason and Cubase and haven't had any problems other than bogging things down with too many loops.

5. Stevo57

Drezdin, What audio interface are you using and how are you set up , if I may ask? Are you just using the loops supplied in Reason, or are you making some loops with a midi keyboard or ? How do you get the Guitar signal in?

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

I just export the loop as a .wav, and bring it into Sonar.

Crude but effective.

Loudboy

7. drezdin

drezdin Member

I have an older M audio Delta 1010. I make my own loops, but the usually involve me deconstructing some audio material rather than playing them in with midi. I use it mostly for drum loops and processing other sound files I have created. For guitar, I usually go from a mic pre into the 1010. When I have had problems with things bogging down I just export it as a wav file as Loudboy suggested. When I'm working on loops in Reason I usually save them this way as well. That way I can use them in acid or process them further in some other software.
    Can you be more specific about your glitch? Is it with the midi recording, rewire, a problem with recording the guitar tracks..ect. Which part isn't working for you?

8. Stevo57

Right now the problem is mainly with getting the midi keyboard playing through when either in standard or rewire mode. I've double checked the channel, midi mode, connections etc. on both ends. If I play in Reason out of Rewire mode the keyboard sends midi and Reason plays and records midi notes normally. The problems start when trying to integrate into Cubase or Sonor. Please understand, my rant is basically with the complexity that these programs exhibit while providing cryptic documentation. If these Lite and Le programs are aimed at the novice or even the person trying out the basics of the program, I think they miss the mark.
    I'm sure with a little more time and help from you folks I'll get it going. Some setup tutorials from the novice point of view would go a long way in helping sell the product IMO. The connection charts for a few basic setups supplied in print in the box would be huge.

9. juniorspecial

juniorspecial Member

Hmm, I've Rewired my Reason 3.0 into my ProTools on my PC, and it worked fine, straight off.

And I'm a dumbass...

10. drezdin

drezdin Member

I don't have an answer for that one. That would be something I would have to trouble shoot. You can try turning the midi ins and outs off in cubase. Maybe there is a midi conflict when both programs are running. But, I don't have a definite answer for that one...sorry.