It seems most folks use their Timmy to boost other pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soldano16, Jan 5, 2008.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I'm fairly new to pedals and I'm getting the hang of stacking different types of pedals for different gain levels. But I also want my pedalboard to offer me some one stop shopping in terms of OD. I want to be able to set an OD pedal so that it sounds great on it's own. That might mean a higher gain setting than if I want the pedal to boost some other gain pedal also happening.

My little board is all about gain as 4 of my 5 pedals are OD/fuzz and one delay.

In so many threads on the Timmy, I read about folks using it as a boost with other pedals. I understand it has really powerful EQ that makes it very useful for this purpose.

But what about folks like me who want it as a simple OD pedal? Is it not as popular in that roll?

2. GDking

GDking Member

I use it last to shape everything.

3. sandman

sandman Member

My Tim's absolutely precious as a standalone OD! And..it does work great into clean (Fender in my case) amps. whoever don't like it should just get a TS and get over it...which is cool.

4. erksin

erksin Member

I use it at the end of the chain of dirt - not as a boost. Seems a shame to waste the EQ putting it in front of other pedals with inferior tone shaping abilities.

I use it by itself all the time - it's my main meat-and-potates dirt sound, has been for 3 years now.

5. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi,

I use my Timmy on its own, not to boost anything else. Before I discovered the Timmy I had been disappointed with the Fulltone OCD and the TRex Moller - two great pedals for what they do, I'm sure - which I both felt put some sort of "lid" on my guitar sound. Sometimes I'm sure that is what you want, but I'm an acoustic player that recently picked up the electric. I play mostly rhythm parts and wanted to keep the clean, trebly, stringy sound - a chiming clean but with just a little break-up around the edges.

I use Timmy to set my basic sound. It's on all the time. I don't use it for kicking in the next gear and really rock, though I think it could.

/C

6. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I use the Tim as an "always on" OD when I can't turn my amp up as loud as I'd like. The EQ and lack of compression make it great for this. It actually can sound better and have more clarity than my amp cranked. For solos, using the boost or running another pedal into it works great. It really is a great pedal.

7. drolling

drolling Member

I'm with these guys.. Paul C's also an amp designer, and like brother Bjorn (the Mad Professor) across the pond, his pedals are among the most "amp-like" I've ever used.

So they're usually at the end of the signal chain, altho' I've often placed delay after - and certainly before samplers/loopers