It took all of 60 seconds to figure out what's wrong with the Timmy pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by David-R, Jan 5, 2006.

1. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

The used Timmy I picked up from a Gear Page member arrived today. It literally took only a few minutes to figure out the problem with this pedal:

How in the world am I going to settle on how to use it ???

There are so many good settings in this box. Admittedly I'm very early in the honeymoon phase but this thing really does sounds great into my Carr Mercury. I quickly dialed in a nice clean boost setting (gain off, bass and treble at about 10:00), a nice Strat neck pup lead tone (gain at 1:00, bass and treble around 2:00) and a great classic rock Strat bridge pickup crunch (dipswitches on, gain cranked, bass and treble about 4:00).

Me be happy!

2. omensixaxe

omensixaxe Member

buy more than one. problem solved.:AOK

3. jeak

jeak Member

The Timmy is currently the only OD on my board. I don't feel the need for anything else right now, even the Zendrive that's sitting in my reserve drawer. On my Timmy's gain knob, I fitted a rubber MXR pad so I can adjust the gain with my foot while playing. That's all the fun I need these days!

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

wanna sell me your zendrive? ;)

5. jeak

jeak Member

Sure, $500 ;)

It's a great pedal too, and I expect I'll reinstate it someday. I'm waiting for a custom Fargen amp, and I can't wait to hear how both the Timmy and the Zen sound with it.

6. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

GAS SWIIING !!!:eek: :RoCkIn i wonder if u can have this classic rock Strat bridge pickup crunch with the TIM ?

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

How much gain does the Timmy pedal have?

8. David-R

My Timmy has a decent amount of gain. More than I expected. I need to do some A/B comparisons to be more precise but here's a preliminary comparison:

More than the Silver LTD
    About the same as the Zendrive
    About equivalent to the new Direct Drive with the drive at 12:00 to 1:00

I'll try to A/B with the LTD and DD this weekend.

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Thanks Dave, I have the DD and Silver LTD. I would be curious to the Silver LTD vs Timmy comparison especially if you use a Strat!

10. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Is this the new chip that Paul is using in his timmy or the standard chip before the change? I just ordered my Timmy and he told me he is changing the chip that has less gain, it was optional. I didnt know the timmy had that much gain though.

11. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

Paul hasn't changed the gain yet... they're all the same.

12. David-R

Based on Paul posting on another thread, this is the old chip. I like the gain and actually wish it had a bit more.

13. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

He is not changing the chip! He is changing the gain pot to a lower value. Which in turn gives it a little less gain, he already has been using this pot on the Tim.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

14. David-R

:jo You're right, I meant to say "pot", not "chip".

Thanks for the correction. :)

15. David-R

I spent about 30 minutes comparing these 2 yesterday with a Fender Strat and my Carr Mercury. The Merc is set mostly clean with a tad of dirt if you dig in. I'll try to give more details later when I have more time but the Timmy is simply more versatile than the Silver LTD - more gain, wider EQ range. The Timmy did everything the LTD could do (and actually sounded "better" to my ears) and can do things the LTD can't. I'll try to post more later.

16. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I've got a Timmy on order and I kind of hope PaulC won't do the mod on my Timmy. I wan't the original pedal, the one that has had all the hype and glory. Mind you, I did get the new modded OCD and I couldn't be more pleased. I'd like to try the old OCD too though...

17. David-R

A little more on the comparison:

Besides the versatility issue, I'm having a problem with the inherent brightness/presence in the LTD gain circuit. This is very noticeable compared to the Timmy. I set the LTD as a clean boost with the gain off, tone 12:00, volume at slight boost. Sounds great. Next I started to add a little dirt from the LTD by increasing the gain. As soon as I increase the gain even just a little bit, the tone is noticeably brighter. I can't dial it out this brightness even by turning the presence trimmer all the way down, turning the bass trimmer all the way up and rolling off the tone. It seems to me that the gain circuit is simply bright. I can find no way to dial out this brightness. I like the character of the gain (amp-like crunch) and the sustain that comes with it but can't tame the brightness. It's also very noticeable when I run it before or after the Timmy.

18. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

How does the Timmy compare to the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine and also how would the Liquid Sunshine compare to the LTD.

Are you compareing the Timmy to the Silver or Black LTD?

Thanks, I'm finding the comparisions very interesting.

19. David-R

I'm comparing to the Silver LTD.

I can't offer any help comparing to the Subdecay pedal - I don't have one.

20. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member