It took me over six years to figure out the OD sound I was hearing in my head...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FenderBigot, Apr 24, 2016.

1. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

... it was a Marshally type pedal into a Fender amp! In the last six or so years I have tried almost 50 dirt pedals of all sorts of variety types... TS, Voxy, BB etc etc. I owned more than a few TGP flavors of the day types. I even tried some MIAB pedals but moved away from them too fast.

At the end of the day, the two pedals on my board are both creating somewhat the same sound. I bought a Lovepedal Amp 50 for a mere $65 and it is still here. My new found fascination is the Greer Samson, which is a plexi-ish sound. Together these kill and I boost them for solos with a Wampler Tumnus. I am shocked to be honest. The simplicity is ideal and the tone is what I have heard in my head for the longest time.

For what it's worth... I am done chasing someone else's sound, I am ready to sound like me. :aok

2. stevel

stevel Member

Good for you. I'm on 30+ years now.

The sound I hear is a Fulltone 2 without the mid-hump and bass drop...

Jet Age Eric and FenderBigot like this.
  3. Pizza

Pizza Member

Congrats, man. May we all be so lucky. I'm still chasing the sound in my head. I just have a better vocabulary to talk about it now.

Have you tried a Mesa Flux drive? It has a woodsy grit to it that retains bottom end and not much mid hump.

4. FenderBigot

I should have mentioned that I once owned a Soldano HR50+ and gigged without any pedals at all. That was the best natural amp OD sound I ever heard from my hands in a live setting. :D

5. FenderBigot

Not sure I was lucky... maybe I was diligent! LOL. God knows I spent a lot on flipping pedals, mostly in USPS shipping charges. :bonk

Cgkindler and Teleman76 like this.
  6. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow Member

The old 2-channel (big black box) Carl Martin PlexiTone is it for me into a clean amp (Peavey Bandit, Red-Stripe). No need for other pedals. The Crunch channel is pure Plexi. The high gain channel is JCM800, and the boost gives you a simple volume jump for solos. The best all-in-one pedal I have ever tried, and one of the only ones that works 100% for me stand alone with no other pedals needed to provide additional boost, gain or shaping.

Cheers
    TRJB

Cgkindler and FenderBigot like this.
  7. Drewthemusical

Drewthemusical Member

That's real similar to what I was hearing in my head too, but throw a tele in the equation. When I first plugged in my new Fralin Stock Tele pickups through my Deville and BB Preamp, I was like "holy sh**, there it is!"

8. FenderBigot

I said those "there it is" words in under three minutes with the Samson. :aok

Drewthemusical likes this.
  9. Drewthemusical

Drewthemusical Member

Such a satisfying feeling, isn't it? Now, let's see how long it lasts before TGP gear lust kicks in and we want the new flavor of the week hahahaha :beer

Enusire and FenderBigot like this.
  10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

at least you found that.
    I still don't know why i have voices in my head, lol.

11. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

Cool and congrats! I got one of the tones in my head figured out recently too. Its a germ fuzzface into a cranked marshall amp type of sound (Fuzzface into Plexidrive Deluxe pedal into Marshall amp). Now unto the other tones....

FenderBigot likes this.
  12. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

That's good to hear, cause the Little Sampson is the only OD pedal on my board, I'm getting ready to buy a Tumnus, and I use a blackface style amp. Have you had enough time with the Tumnus, to know for sure, that it's charge pump doesn't mess with anything in your chain ?

13. Teleman76

Teleman76 Supporting Member

Although he hasn't been at it as long as I, @PurpleJesus has had the frequency as I have doing just this.:rotflmao:rotflmao

PurpleJesus and FenderBigot like this.
  14. FenderBigot

Nope... No issues with the chain at all. It sounds killer with my VVRI and my glorified BJr (CS Two Tone).

tubekingsley likes this.
  15. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

Oh. I had a pedal problem.

Now I have an amp problem. ;)

Teleman76 and FenderBigot like this.
  16. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

Thats how I felt when I hit the front end of my timmy with the Eternity :dude:dude:beer:rockin

17. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

It turned out to be a Rock Your Repaired Amp Klone into my Avatar 45 for me. It also works great with my other amps especially my express 5 50. Now I just need to get my modulation pedals worked out and I'll be relatively set!

FenderBigot likes this.